• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

88 2.3 5 speed Towing

88ranger89camaro

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i know the book says only 2,000lbs, but i pull a 18' 2,800 lb bowrider with mine and well it does strugle, dont seem to want to do over 63MPH. My 14ft tandem axle trailer is about 1200lbs empty and it dont seem to want to cruise at anymore than 65ish

truck seem to have plenty of power alone, just starts to fizzle around 60 even by its self, i mean it will do 85ish alone just not fast to get up there, it seems to scream up to 65 for a 100hp 4cly

does this sound normal, i'm used to towing with big trucks and motorhomes, never a 4cyl

i got the 3.73 rear

RavoHimself

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i've never owned a 2.3 but for a motor that small and a load that big it sounds normal to me

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
Yeah, you'll feel it. I've found about 4,000lbs is about tops for a 4 banger. Did close to 5 grand a few times, flooring it in 4th, constant downshifting into 3rd and reving the hell out of it.

The 6,000lb 42' boom lift laden with lead acid batteries on the other hand, I never made it out of 3rd or past 40MPH.

Being a 4 banger and seeming to (for the most part) suit your needs. I'd only change things if you come across a nice 4.10 geared axle for a really good price. I wouldn't start hardcore searching for one.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals