• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

302 setup

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Manual
i have an 85 b2 all stock next year im plannin a 302 swap im unsure what axles t case and trans to use but i would like to keep it standard my direction is baja/mud and weekend street use im only planning for 300-350 horses any suggestions on components

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Auto or manual?

And ford 9 inch rear, 44 front sas'ed (of course), would this combo work?
Or d60's front and rear!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Manual
its a 5 speed i believe its the mazda i am also toying with the idea of goin solid axle up front and its a budget build i would like to find a complete donor vehicle

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
If you have an 85 then it is unlikely to be the actual Mazda trans. It may well be the TK5 which was made by a division of Mazda, but they were "Mazda transmissions" kinda the same way that a PowerStroke is an "International engine".

Same parts, lower quality.

WesB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm intrested in this because I am planning on doing the same thing to my 84 but I have an auto.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
For a budget build, two ways you can do this, if its a DD, then you will want to go with a D35/8.8 from a gen 1 explorer or 93-97 ranger (that did NOT have a 3.0L or 2.3L) as your axles will likely not hold up to the V8's power. If it's not a DD and you have the time to pull it down, EB D44/9" would be the way to go...As for Tcases, a D20 would be a pergect setup for you, but is a little hard to come by, the NP205 is another great choice and easier to find, but at the expense of weight, it is heavier...The F-series Tcases are very wide and will have frame contact, they can and have been used, but most of the time require frame mods...Of course there is always the Atlas, but not in the budget for budget minded swaps:icon_thumby:
SVT

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
For a 5 speed the Mazda out of a 97-03 (dunno about newer) fits the best. The shifter location comes out in a better place for a Ranger than the previous trucks.

I am going with a C4/5 mutant right now, if it gives me grief I will go with the 5spd.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Manual
how hard is the solid axle swap and the trans is not the stock one i had it replaced with the "better" one because when i bought it for 400 bucks 2 years ago up in colorado it was missin 4th gear and also has anyone done the valve guide seals on the 2.8 i have been burnin more oil then i have been puttin in i am plannin to put it in the shop for the seals cuz i lack the facilities to do it myself (in my apartment complex if you are caught with your hood open its a 300 dollar fine )

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals