• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5.0 - Explorer

Racerm95

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Gentlemen, I have a 94 Explorer 4.0 5-speed with 1354 Electric shift.

I just aquired a (prod. date 9/89) 90 5.0 V-8, with the auto trans and manual shift 1345 transfer case. I know what has to be done to fit the motor and trans, how much more has to be done changing the transfer case, or is 1345 even worth it ? It all came out of a 1990 F150 Short box 4x4

Thank you for your help in advance :)

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You should just give it to me and I'll take care of the details.
LOL

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
I agree with country! Lol. But yeah I'd swap it out just bc it's not auto

Last edited:

Racerm95

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

84bluebronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My vote is to take any pieces of the F150 drive line you can fit, and put them in. I've had nothing but good luck fortunately with my 94 explorer, but the 5.0 is an all new beast.

Racerm95

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My vote is to take any pieces of the F150 drive line you can fit, and put them in. I've had nothing but good luck fortunately with my 94 explorer, but the 5.0 is an all new beast.
The V-8 is nothing to do, there kits to do the job.. My concern is how much cutting/chopping will it take to install the transfer case, as Ive been told that the F150 T-Case is wider..

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
I've never put a 13-45 into a RBV but I have seen pics, so I'm no expert.

In the pics i saw a few years back, a small piece of the frame had to be cut. Basically, a 3" long section of the lower part of the "C" had to be cut out. Turning it into an upside down "L", if that makes any sense to you. The vertical section and the top of the "C" were untouched. I cant seem to find the pics now.

Racerm95

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If you could find those pics it would be greatly appreciated :) Yes I understand what you were trying to say Thank You

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
When I was looking into that the pickup drive train was a foot longer than the B2 was and wouldn't fit.Don't most people use the V8 drive train from the newer V8 explorer?

Racerm95

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have an Explorer not a BII .. iirc the BII is shorter than the Ex. Also Advance has an adapter the will mate the F-150 motor and auto trans to the original T-case..

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
What trans do you have - C6 or AOD? I would try to run a 205 behind the C6, supposedly there is a way to do it behind an AOD as well. The 205 fit pretty well with my V8 swap in my Ranger. I don't have anything against the 1354 adapter for your t-case, it's just expensive. I would try to avoid using the truck t-case since it is so big. I think you will have a lot of trouble fitting it between your frame rails.

You may or may not have issues with your upper intake/hood clearance. Didn't know if you were aware of that or not. The truck intake is taller than the car intake that is most commonly used.

kolton

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
NP205 adaptors are really common, even one where you can clock the Tcase to fit between the rails. I wouldn't use the 1345,I couldn't get it to fit my Bii very easily so I ditched that idea but its not a bad Tcase, but NP205's are very common and aftermarket is all there.
Hey, I can fix your drive shaft problems too!!! Make it a 203/205 doubler and all you'll have to do is connect the t-case yoke to the pinion yoke! Saves time and money! Now the front drive shaft on the other hand....

Racerm95

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Shran, thanks for that, I did not know about the the intake problem... Looks like I will have to look around for a different intake setup.. Eaton Blower off a Mustang perhaps hehehe

Racerm95

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Kolton, just trying to work with what I have. or readily available to me.. The V8 setup I got for so cheap it actually hurts .. (20.00 for everything) There are a couple reasons I wanted the V8.. 1) Just dont trust 100% computer control, want a distributor, not coil packs... 2) My 13-54 electric does not shift. Its someplace in the electrics, so I decided I wanted manual shift t-case.. This V8 set up came along..

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
it can be done, i'm sure of it. just might take ya some time is all. or sell that set up and buy a 4.0

well, then you have coil packs and all.. so idk man. it can be done, i'm gonna see if i can get in touch with one of my buddies that have built some v8 ex's and see if he has the set up documented or anything.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals