• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Grinding on front passenger side wheel?

The_Epsicle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Pushrod V6
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
All hail the mighty ziptie!
First off I'm new to the forum so my apologies to the mods and members if I posted this in the wrong section, couldn't decide between 4x4 suspension or wheels tires, or any of the others so it ended up here.

I drive a 1994 Ford Ranger STX Extended Cab with a 4.0 V6, automatic transmission with 4x4 (auto locking hubs). I have had it since November and the Previous owner did not take good care of it, I have replaced the ball joints, brake hoses (after they exploded while driving unfortunately), tires (they were dry-rotted) and re-greased the bearings (brakes, rotors, calipers looked fine). Only minor engine work so far (spark plugs, oil, cleaning out birds nest's ext...) also worth mentioning the entire engine bay took a bath in coolant the day I bought it, I drove it home and a couple seconds after shutting the engine off the top radiator hose blew and sent coolant everywhere.

Now to my problem I have a grind on my front passenger side that is consistent with wheel speed and goes away in 4x4, greasing the wheel bearing's made it go away for about two months so I just assumed that had been the problem (I also had replaced the front shocks at the same time) now I also hadn't been in 4x4 since then and engaged it today on our snow covered roads when I disengaged it at a stop sign and started driving on the highway it came back much quieter than before but definitely there as I felt it through the floor first. when I reengaged the 4x4 it went away, engaged the low range and same thing no noise, when I disengaged 4x4 it came back again, reengaged the 4x4 and drove a few feet from the stop sign with a massive clunking, grinding and steering pull (the wheel probably locked). Disengaged 4x4 had the grind and pulled into my driveway since I was close when all of this happened. Now if you followed any of that do you guys have any clue whats going on because I am at my wits end here.

EDIT: I just remembered I took it on a Level B road in the last 2 week with the 4x4 engaged and remember hearing it after disengaging it but only for a short time, so something may have been damaged on the B

Last edited:

Aerkusa

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1991, 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I wonder if the PO maybe drove it for an extended period of time in 4x4...

Are all your tires you replaced the same size/brand/etc?

The_Epsicle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Pushrod V6
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
I wonder if the PO maybe drove it for an extended period of time in 4x4...

Are all your tires you replaced the same size/brand/etc?
That's a possibility I'm the 5th owner and there are 200,000 miles on it. Yes they are all the same, I had the shop balance the wheels and do an alignment(after I had replaced the ball joints) when they were changed as well.

Aerkusa

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1991, 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
That's a possibility I'm the 5th owner and there are 200,000 miles on it. Yes they are all the same, I had the shop balance the wheels and do an alignment(after I had replaced the ball joints) when they were changed as well.
I'm really not too good at troubleshooting. I'm sure someone who knows a lot more than me will chime in soon.

I could imagine it could be an issue with vacuum system or the shifting motor in the transfer case but I'm just grasping at straws here. I'll shush up and let someone more knowledgeable handle it.

The_Epsicle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Pushrod V6
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
I'm really not too good at troubleshooting. I'm sure someone who knows a lot more than me will chime in soon.

I could imagine it could be an issue with vacuum system or the shifting motor in the transfer case but I'm just grasping at straws here. I'll shush up and let someone more knowledgeable handle it.
It's tough when you can't see/hear/feel the problem but I appreciate the replies anyway. I've got a couple ideas but nothing real solid so I don't want to pollute the atmosphere with them until I see what some others think because I thought I had this one nailed before and it turns out I didn't.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
07/86
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm having a similar problem with my 92 explorer. But mine is when I engage 4wd it will clunk and pop and grind. And when I disengage 4wd it's a b**** to get the trans case to release. I have to go under and twist the shaft by hand til it releases.

So far I have taken apart both spindles and checked bearings. Looking closely at the splines. Stuck a magnet to the diff and spun it. And check for metal flakes and found nothing.

I've notice while in the snow with 4wd engaged my truck is a donut making machine due to the front diff isn't engaged. And I get the grinding and clunking noise. My guess is it's in the tcase or the shift motor.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
There are several torrington bearings in the hub setup out pas the wheel bearing that would only be in motion when the hub is unlocked. Kinda sounds to me like the problem may lie in one of them.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
07/86
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So maybe in the auto locking hub. Do you perhaps have or know of a pic of what a new or good one should look like. So I can compare

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
07/86
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm going to do a test when the snow stops falling. Hopefully tomorrow. Jack up all four wheels engage 4wd and let them spin in idle and watch all the mechanical parts to see which one clunks.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
07/86
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok I read in the tech library if you hubs are filled with grease they won't work properly. As I recall mine had a lot of grease in them. So ill be cleaning them out.

The_Epsicle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Pushrod V6
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Ok I read in the tech library if you hubs are filled with grease they won't work properly. As I recall mine had a lot of grease in them. So ill be cleaning them out.
Did not know that, can you post the link to that part of the tech library, I'm interested to read it. I also like you're idea about jacking it up to see all the components moving, just have to be careful about it.

There are several torrington bearings in the hub setup out pas the wheel bearing that would only be in motion when the hub is unlocked. Kinda sounds to me like the problem may lie in one of them.
That was one of my suspects I was just hoping that wasn't the case because it was a pain in the butt to get down that far to replace the Ball Joints, of course as they say "hope is not a strategy".

Thanks for the replies I guess I'll wait for a warm day see what I can see. Those bearings probably need to be replaced regardless of if they're the problem or not, everything on this truck is stock and that is not a good thing.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
07/86
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well I started on cleaning the grease out of the drivers front. Holy carp be carefull I broke mine putting back together. There was so much dry grease stuck in there. I soaked it in diesel and with a toothbrush brushed all the grease away. Upon putting it back together you have to compress the spring down far enough to get the snap ring back in. Well the compressed spring snapped loose and broke a plastic piece. Lmao that one's toast. Found one in a jy.

That's as far as I got before the sky let loose another snow fall.

If you got to tech articles then axle, gears, hubs and lockers. Go to locking hubs on the top right. Click on hub troubleshooting. It's high lighted in red. Can't miss it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals