• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need Urgent advice - Transmission

AllBlackBimmer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2004 XLT 4x4 Automatic, with 68,000 miles.
Only have owned 2 months and do not know full service history.

Last Friday, my O/D light was blinking and shifting hard, and then shut it off. Let it sit, and about 2 hours later the trans was slipping (I believe from 2nd to 3rd gear) on the highway, so dropped it off at the dealership the next morning (was shifting fine at this point)

Took it to a Ford Dealersip and upon inspection, they said the codes they pulled pointed to a common TSB for these 5R55E transmissions that showed the Shift Solenoid needs replaced.

Obviously they need to drop the pan to change the solenoid, and will be replacing the filter.

My question is - should I have the fluid FLUSHED? or just replace what is lost when dropping the pan?

I know there are 2 different common types of flush machines - pump inlet and cooling line - I know NOT sure which the Ford dealerships use.

I know all about peoples horror stories of doing a flush and then having trans failures.

Should I just have them drop pan+replace filter+replace lost fluid
Or, should I have them do a fluid flush, and then drop the pan and replace filter?

My truck is at the garage RIGHT NOW, and I need to give them directions on what I want done by this afternoon.
If there are any questions I should ask the Tech to sway my decision, please post them. I think I will be physically going to the dealership and request to speak directly with the Tech as well.

Please help and advise.

Last edited:

Bronco638

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If it were me, I'd replace the fluid as well. Who knows what's floating around in that stuff or if it's been 'burned'.

I'm always confused by the tranny codes. Does your truck have the 4.0? I have the 3.0 and believe I have a 5R44E.

AllBlackBimmer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
If it were me, I'd replace the fluid as well. Who knows what's floating around in that stuff or if it's been 'burned'.

I'm always confused by the tranny codes. Does your truck have the 4.0? I have the 3.0 and believe I have a 5R44E.
4.0, sorry forgot to mention that...

when you say you would replace the fluid, do you mean you would flush all of it? or just what's in the pan?

isn't the filter "supposed" to catch some of that crap? I know it probably does a poor job at collecting the finer particles...

hopster

Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0, 5.0 can't decide
Transmission
Manual
i usually recomend a flush with that repair

AllBlackBimmer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
i usually recomend a flush with that repair
Do you know if all Ford dealerships use the same type of machine? Or are they independent since the dealers are independently owned?

Which machine is "better" ? the type that connects to the pump inlet, or the one that connects to the cooler line?
Or doesn't it matter?

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
1. Fluid flushes do not kill transmissions

2. The myth goes that flushing a HIGH MILEAGE transmission can kill it. 68k miles isn't high mileage.

I would do a full flush so that you have all fresh fluid. At 68k, it's due. Do pan drops every 40k from now.

AllBlackBimmer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
1. Fluid flushes do not kill transmissions

2. The myth goes that flushing a HIGH MILEAGE transmission can kill it. 68k miles isn't high mileage.

I would do a full flush so that you have all fresh fluid. At 68k, it's due. Do pan drops every 40k from now.
since they are dropping the pan anyway...

they should FIRST, do the flush and then drop the pan and change the filter correct?

I believe I am going to the dealership this afternoon and talk to the tech... firstly to see if he is an idiot or not and try to feel him out, and secondly to ask about 43 questions regarding all of this...

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Don't be "THAT GUY".

Call them, tell them OF COURSE you want all new, fresh ATF in it with the repair.

Worry about future flushes ... in the FUTURE when it needs it.

AllBlackBimmer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Don't be "THAT GUY".

Call them, tell them OF COURSE you want all new, fresh ATF in it with the repair.

Worry about future flushes ... in the FUTURE when it needs it.
trust me, I have been googling and searching flush pros and cons all day.

seems to be much debate obviously, with some knowledgeable people chiming it, along with your typical internet trolls and idiots.

I would hope that at only 68k, that even if that trans has NEVER been serviced, that Ford didn't build such a piece of crap trans that flushing the fluid now would cause any harm to it.

There are obviously a ton of X-factors other than the flush that go into a transmission failing. But with that said, I obviously do NOT want problems moving forward...

If I have to pay $750 now, only to have my transmission fail in another 6months or year, would be a sorry waste of money.

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Since you seem to be a reader and proactive, take a look over here and learn more than you might ever want to know about your 5R55E.....

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=386920

I realize it's late in the game, but I would have had them install the shift kit and modified valve body you will read about here: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140987 start at Post 20+

but really, you caught it early and it'll likely be fine for many years to come after the repair.

Bronco638

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
AllBlackBimmer said:
when you say you would replace the fluid, do you mean you would flush all of it? or just what's in the pan?

isn't the filter "supposed" to catch some of that crap? I know it probably does a poor job at collecting the finer particles...
Sorry for the late reply ABB.

Flush all of it. Yeah, the filter is supposed to catch some/most of the 'crap' but I figure you have the tranny opened up and you don't know what temps the fluid reached when things were slipping. So, you might as well replace it all. I'm leery of filters and try to be religious about fluid/filter changes.

AllBlackBimmer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Long story short, I had a 3 month warranty but of course the one part that failed isn't covered. Whatever. Dealer I bought it from is being fair and willing to pay half my bill, so I'm going to take it to another garage.

So, I've bought myself another day or two for research... I am def interested in reviewing the above post with other things to maybe do while the trans is opened up.... Like the modified valve body..l might as well pay to do it now.

More comments and input is welcomed! Thanks guy for all the info thus far.

AllBlackBimmer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Since you seem to be a reader and proactive, take a look over here and learn more than you might ever want to know about your 5R55E.....

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=386920

I realize it's late in the game, but I would have had them install the shift kit and modified valve body you will read about here: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140987 start at Post 20+

but really, you caught it early and it'll likely be fine for many years to come after the repair.
I'm skimmed throu that "diary of valve body rebuild" thread a few times already... Seems very informative.

Ok next thing I'm going to say is dumb, and I am just ignorant about transmissions in all seriousness.
My truck is a 2004... Did they change from a mech "shift" with springs and stuff to an updated "electronically shifted" trans for the 5r55e? Seems like they must have changed some parts in these transmissions around 2002 or so?

The "shift kit" doesn't look too expensive... 50-60 bucks, so I will probably do that.

I know these valve bodies kind of suck too, so I should change mine out now you are saying? Sounds reasonable since it's already opened up. What is the "modified" VB differences?
Will install labor price go up significantly if I do these other two things along with my solenoid?

What "brand" parts should I buy? Or does Ford make these parts? I assume they don't?

If I do these things, does everyone think the rest of my trans will be ok in the future? I know it's very hard to say. But I'd like to keep this truck to 125,000-150,000 miles at least...

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals