• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Not a wire guy

Fordfreak11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hi guys I have tried posting in different spot on here looking for help. I use this site for allot of help when I get in tricky spots. And always pull through. I have got to a point in my ranger that I can't figure out by my self.
I have a 91 extended cab 4x4 5 speed and I just recently replaced the 2.9 with a 4.0. The swap went great. Everything went good. Literally plug and play. The only problem that I have is that the donor truck I used was a 91 ranger 2wd auto. And I'm thinking that's why my 4x4 don't work. I know that I had to do allot of reading on here to find out how to wire up the nss to make pedal work properly. So now that's fixed I need to figure out how to wire my push button 4x4 to work. It's possible I just don't understand wiring that good.. I believe I can do something at clutch switch to make this all possible but before I chop that all up I would appreciate some knowledge from you all. If genius minds would come together and help out that would be great.

Fordfreak11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
I have checked what wires go where on the clutch switch on the pedal and out of all of them can't figure out what the 2 green wires in the middle of the plug do? I already found the nss wires but that is it.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The NSS was on the automatic, and its wires ran to the Clutch switch plugin under the dash, since clutch switch wouldn't be used.

So you don't used the NSS wiring harness at all, just unplug it under the dash and plug in the clutch switch

manual trans just had Reverse(2 wires) and Speed sensor(2 wires)

Fordfreak11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
I can understand that but I took the red with blue and pink wires on trans plug under hood and ran then to the NSS. What ever that did I have to have the clutch in and out of gear to be able to start now. But my switch has 2 green wires in the middle of the switch that I'm not sure about, but 6 in total. If I do what you say will that make my 4x4 work again?

Fordfreak11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
The 4x4 worked great before I put the 4.0 2wd auto harness in. I used the auto trans wiring and just used the 2 wired that they told me to jump ( red w/blue and the pink) and then the oil pressure gauge ( white w/red). I just need help on what I'm missing from the switch to the auto harness that's not letting my 4x4 work now. Maybe wires that aren't going any where that should be? But no matter how much I search the web nothing to help me on if there is a power wire or a ground that I can hook up to make the 4x4 work again. Because everything is so close that can't be that far off

Fordfreak11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Can anybody tell me where to even find what I need? I don't have 4x4 and we have snow kinda unsettling not having 4x4. I'll take anything?

Fordfreak11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Man this sight is so friendly! The only guy that was nice enough to even try to help me is RonD And over 200 people had viewed my post and no else has even tried. I don't understand . Only came to this sight to get help because from what I read very helpful people on here. Sorry for my rant:scare::scare::lame::lame:

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Sorry, it could just be that nobody has an answer to your problem.

Here's the diagram for the electronic shift control on a 1991 Ford Ranger:

If you look at http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/WiringByColor.shtml it should tell you what the different wire colors are for. You'll have to scroll down to 'Electronic Shift Control'.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I remember reading your original post and RonD's reply. I just didnt have much to offer. Im an old electrician, but relatively new to Rangers. Your post occurred during the holidays when many people are busy. I actually worked 90 hours from Christmas eve to today. I am an industrial maintenance tech. So there hasnt been much time to work on my projects or figure out wiring diagrams for other people even though I like to try to help.

The diagrams posted above should be your guide. The electric 4x4 system doesn't need a lot of interaction with other systems. It needs power and grounds. It needs to know if the clutch is in. And if I recall (I'm typing this on my phone and can't see the diagram right now) it needs some speed information. Otherwise, there are few components - the pushbuttons or selector switch, the controller and the shift motor with contact assembly.

Print out the diagram big enough that you can read it easily. Then study it until you're familiar with it. I recommend coloring the wires on your printout to make it easier to follow. Then, connect the wires. I won't say it's easy for everyone. But with some patience and attention to detail, you can do this. The progress you have already made on your project proves that you can finish this.

Eric B

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Hi guys I have tried posting in different spot on here looking for help. I use this site for allot of help when I get in tricky spots. And always pull through. I have got to a point in my ranger that I can't figure out by my self.
I have a 91 extended cab 4x4 5 speed and I just recently replaced the 2.9 with a 4.0. The swap went great. Everything went good. Literally plug and play. The only problem that I have is that the donor truck I used was a 91 ranger 2wd auto. And I'm thinking that's why my 4x4 don't work. I know that I had to do allot of reading on here to find out how to wire up the nss to make pedal work properly. So now that's fixed I need to figure out how to wire my push button 4x4 to work. It's possible I just don't understand wiring that good.. I believe I can do something at clutch switch to make this all possible but before I chop that all up I would appreciate some knowledge from you all. If genius minds would come together and help out that would be great.

I ASS U ME.... you thoroughly checked the fuses, and the grounds.

I wonder why you would incorporate any part of the auto trans wiring unless you were making sure you were powering pin 30 on crank.

I also ASS U ME you are using the original 5 speed from the 2.9...

The NSS was on the automatic, and its wires ran to the Clutch switch plugin under the dash, since clutch switch wouldn't be used.

So you don't used the NSS wiring harness at all, just unplug it under the dash and plug in the clutch switch

manual trans just had Reverse(2 wires) and Speed sensor(2 wires)
I can understand that but I took the red with blue and pink wires on trans plug under hood and ran then to the NSS. What ever that did I have to have the clutch in and out of gear to be able to start now. But my switch has 2 green wires in the middle of the switch that I'm not sure about, but 6 in total. If I do what you say will that make my 4x4 work again?
well, a 2.9 liter 91 can have a neutral switch as well. the clutch or neutral sense put pin 48 to pin 30, and allow low range to be selected or deselected. at least I think that's the com on the diagram I am seeing that jim posted.

The 4x4 worked great before I put the 4.0 2wd auto harness in. I used the auto trans wiring and just used the 2 wired that they told me to jump ( red w/blue and the pink) and then the oil pressure gauge ( white w/red). I just need help on what I'm missing from the switch to the auto harness that's not letting my 4x4 work now. Maybe wires that aren't going any where that should be? But no matter how much I search the web nothing to help me on if there is a power wire or a ground that I can hook up to make the 4x4 work again. Because everything is so close that can't be that far off
do you have the clutch interlock wire plug hooked up to the clutch switch?.

I have seen and have had issues in the past with the clutch switch rod being loose, and signal patterning incorrectly the wiring for the nds. generally when I am mixing up systems like this I direct wire the starter relay and signal relay pin 30 direct.

I have had the shifter work fine on the t case with the eec unplugged before so not sure what ya have going on.

I assume your grounds are correct and the fuses along with key power and kapwer where it is supposed to be.

Fordfreak11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
I appreciate that you guys for understanding that i had a bad day and probly saying more that what I should. Not anybody's fault but mine. I do apologise to everyone for my behavior. I will see if what you gentleman have given me and see what I can make of it. Thanks

Last edited:

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
i had a bad day and probly saying more that what I should.
We've all been there. :icon_thumby:

Fordfreak11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
I have removed the wires going to the so called (NSS) and put the jumper wire in so it still starts up with the clutch pressed in. And I found the to wires that run the reverse lights and now they work. So now I'm getting somewhere I think. Now I have the 2 wires coming from the (NSS) that I need to find a home for. And I only have one more spot to plug a wire in to on the plug. That wire is red w/white stripe on the other side of plug on the fender. I'm guessing that I will game to tie one those two wires from (NSS) to the reverse light wires and the other wires plugs in to the red w/white spot on fender plug. I THINK! But don't want to burn any wires up till I get another opinion

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Welcome to TRS~!

I was one of those early views and I meant to post just to say that the introduction section was not the best place to get answers...but I see you've gotten some answers...sorry I don't have any experience with this aspect of Ranger repairs or changes so it would be just another howdy and welcome from me...

The best advice anyone can give you is to post in appropriate areas whenever possible and to be patient...sometimes that's not easy to accept because when things need to be done yesterday tomorrow is actually two days away...and that's never soon enough...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals