• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5.0 swap

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Is the wiring in place for PATS? If so it may be as simple add plugging in the module and pairing the keys.

booker1971

Reaction score
No sure just read in an article that none on 4 cylinder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

booker1971

Reaction score
Read I would need the steering column out of a explore

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The Explorer will probably have PATS, so even if your truck doesn't, you'll probably have to deal with it at some point. PATS involves the PCM, the factory ignition key, a module in the original steering column.
If you're missing any of those 3 components, you have 2 choices:
1- buy an aftermarket OBD2 tuning device with a custom PCM tune. The PATS stuff can be deleted from the PCM so that your Ranger steering column and key can be used.
2- if you swap the Explorer column into your truck, and just need a new key, a Ford dealer can get a new key and reprogram the vehicle, but you'd have to get the truck to the dealer somehow.

Either option is going to cost a few hundred $. If it were mine, I'd skip the hassle of swapping out columns or trying to keep PATS and just delete it.

booker1971

Reaction score
The Explorer will probably have PATS, so even if your truck doesn't, you'll probably have to deal with it at some point. PATS involves the PCM, the factory ignition key, a module in the original steering column.
If you're missing any of those 3 components, you have 2 choices:
1- buy an aftermarket OBD2 tuning device with a custom PCM tune. The PATS stuff can be deleted from the PCM so that your Ranger steering column and key can be used.
2- if you swap the Explorer column into your truck, and just need a new key, a Ford dealer can get a new key and reprogram the vehicle, but you'd have to get the truck to the dealer somehow.

Either option is going to cost a few hundred $. If it were mine, I'd skip the hassle of swapping out columns or trying to keep PATS and just delete it.

Thanks I had a shop lined up to pull the 2.5 and tranny replacing it with the 5.0 and matching tranny he has tool for pats however pulling the engine and tranny is a simple task I was gonna do it myself in the front yard and save 600 bucks to use else where. The pats and these dang cats that the salvage yard would not sell me from the explorer exhaust are gonna kill my projected budget lol.also wondering if the rear in my ranger behind the 2.5 is gonna hold the 5.0 lol

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The 7.5 with an automatic will last for a bit unless you constantly hammer it. I had mine in my truck with a manual. And beat it pretty hard. Still going strong

booker1971

Reaction score
The 7.5 with an automatic will last for a bit unless you constantly hammer it. I had mine in my truck with a manual. And beat it pretty hard. Still going strong

Thanks for info
FYI pats does not exist on my 2.5 ranger so to fire this 5.0 I called the dealer for Orion’s that was a dead end so luckily I called a local Dino shop and the sold me a programmer the will eliminate pats from the pcm. It cost but simplest option at this point

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
I wish I would have saw your issue with pats earlier. I am still going to post this for future help.
PATS
DO NOT MOUNT THEFT BOX AND KEY RING WITH KEY UNDER THE STEERING WHEEL. I found out the metal support plate with the four 8 mm bolts holding it in interferes with the signal the truck would not start. So I moved everything to above the driver side kick panel. Starts every time.
Yes the dreaded pats. My 98 ranger did not come with pats from the factory. So instead of spending 175.00 and getting it deleted out of my pcm I decided to wire it in. I found a wiring diagram online. I took the box, key ring around the lock cylinder, and the ignition key along with all the wiring I could get.
So this is how I did it. All of the wires on the pats module are the EXACT IDENTICAL COLOR AS THE RANGER. White/Yellow wire(Fuse# 25 7.5A hot at all times) and Red/Light green (Fuse# 19 25A hot in run or start)wired directly to the wires coming out of the fuse box. Ground wired to one of the gold bolts next to the fuse box that holds the dash in. Pink/Light blue and Tan/Orange(wires in obdII coonector for scanner) Wired above the driver side kick panel where they go to the main harness plug at the firewall.
White/Light green Black/Yellow Dark Green/white Gray/Orange all wire back to each other because they go to the key ring. The Dark Blue/Light green wire I wired into the same exact color wire on the 16 pin connector. Theft light works perfectly. After that i zip tied the key inside the ring and mounted everything above the driver kick panel.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals