• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

high emissions - O2 sensor replacement?

beerhunter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hi

I'm currently trying to fix various issues with my truck to get it on the road. One of the problems is high emissions.

I suspect this is in part because the previous owner didn't drive it much, and what is needed is a good long motorway run.

However, I can't do that until it passes its MOT test. I understand worn-out O2 sensors can cause rich running. Is it worth me replacing mine, to try to get the emissions down?

Many thanks

2trux

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9 L
Transmission
Manual
One thing to check, pull the exhaust apart between the Y pipe and the catalytic converter to make sure it hasn't been gutted. I tried most everything to get my son's BII to pass emissions with no joy until I checked the cat and found out it was empty. A new cat and he passed with no problem.

beerhunter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks - de-catting (as they call it here) is fairly common (though probably illegal) but I wouldn't have thought to check. Thanks for the tip.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
O2 sensors should be replaced every 150k miles at least, 100k is specified
They use a chemical reaction like car batteries, so do wear out just like a battery does.

Low milers can make mileage a moot point as the O2 sensors can be fouled if engine was not heated up fully each time it was started.

Thermostat needs to be 190-195degF, some use 180degF which will raise emissions levels
If temp gauge shows just below 1/2 after full warm up then t-stat is OK, if it only gets to 1/3 then most likely it has 180degF or leaking thermostat.

Run a can of Seafoam or similar injector cleaner in the gas tank, that will help clean injectors and cylinders of carbon

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Which gasses are out of whack? There are 5 emissions gasses, and one or another being high or low mean different things.

beerhunter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Unfortunately, the previous owner didn't keep/pass on the detailed breakdown. I'll have to get it re-tested and see what's what.

Thanks

55trucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
-
Total Drop
mild
If you suspect that the cat may have been gutted give them both a light rap with a small hammer, if the sounds you hear are a dead thud the cat is still full, if the sound has a dinging echo to it then the cat will be hollow.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Depends on what gases are giving trouble, that will give you an answer of where the problem lies. Have it rechecked and post the results.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals