• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Back up camera

homey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this. I am interested in putting in a Ford OEM back up camera unit on my '06 Ranger. I think this should work with out much difficulty. Just wondering if any one has tried this? A while back I saw a post some where on this exact topic, but can't remember where it was.

Last edited:

wordsmyth

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Seems almost five years has passed with no answer, but I'm curious about the same question as I would like to install a backup camera in my Ranger.

Which Ford OEM in-dash units will plug and play - does anyone know?

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
None of them.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Is this the smartass dirtman?
Or the knowledgeable dirtman?
How do we know the difference?

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Both...

There's no factory ford unit that is going to be "plug and play" because there's no wiring in a ranger for such a unit. You cant plug something into something that doesn't exist. :dunno:

Not saying you can't get one to work, just saying nothing will just plug in. Any double din setup can be modified and rigged into a ranger dash but there will be cutting and splicing and wiring involved.

wordsmyth

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Roger that on none of them. Whatever word adequately describes the opposite of "tech nerd" is, I'm that, but I can feel my way through most chores after I understand the nomenclatures and the steps involved.

So would you mind 'splaining what "double din" means?

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Double din refers to a stereo unit being twice as tall as the older traditional single din units.

So, first of all, you need to have the physical space for the unit to fit in your dash. Although there are single din units with a display screen that is motorized to slide out and “flip up” into position.

Next is the wiring. For backup camera, you will need to run video and power cabling from the stereo unit back to the camera. You will also need signal wires to tell the unit when the transmission is in park or neutral, when the parking brake is on and how fast the vehicle is moving. These are safety related. The stereo units are programmed to see these signals before you can access certain features and menus. Bypassing those features is often difficult or impossible unless you know how to reprogram the stereo.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The only Ford radio screens that had backup camera displays were the My touch systems. That is a lot of extra parts to install for a "factory" camera system that usually go in places that don't exist on your truck. If you want Ford parts I would look at a system from an F150 with the display in the mirror. This will still be problematic since the camera doesn't get a simple on/off signal from the reverse light circuit like an add-on camera would. It gets networked signals over LIN lines to wake up and work, which come from the body control module and park aid module. Without those signals it will likely either be always or never on.

If you just want a camera I would go after market.

Last edited:

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
For $220 I got a double DIN touch screen stereo from Amazon with backup camera, bluetooth phone, Torque pre installed and a bunch of stuff I don't use, it doesn't have a CD player or anything but has I think 3 USB inputs... With one of the pigtails to plug into the OEM wiring and what comes with the stereo it's really easy to install and the backup camera wasn't too bad to install in my Explorer, likely easier in a Ranger since there's no rear hatch to go through the accordion... just had to splice into the backup light power at the tail light and the bracket for the camera is on the license plate frame.

I'm all for upgrading to factory options, but that is getting complicated to implement

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals