• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I prefer the Ranger to both F150's and F250's

bmacsys

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I don't claim to be an expert on trucks but I can say this. I own a 2005 F250 XLT with the 5.4 liter. My wife drives a FX4 F150. I also have a 2004 FX4 Level II Ranger. All are great trucks. I never have had one problem with any of the three. The F250 actually makes a great family car. It rides like a luxury vehicle. The FX4 F150 is a nice truck but I think it pales next to the F250 in many respects. But the truck I always go back to is the Ranger which I have owned four of. I actually rather have the Ranger than the other two trucks. Its design may be dated but I just think the Ranger is a sportier truck, more fun to drive. I just wish they could squeeze a few more horsepower out of the motor, I wish they had a solid front axle. Maybe a tad more headroom. I think if Ford stops building Ranger's in some form it will be a big mistake. Why just cede the small truck market? I also think the Ranger name has some real value to it.

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You could always do an SAS yourself. There's numerous articles and threads on this site about doing it. I plan on it sometime in the next few years. Along with a 5.0 & T5 swap. Maybe a whole different truck though..

falcon57

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Driven 150 250diesels with/without bodyworks {sigh} automatics.. Other garden varieties include mini's like mitsu's and alot of s-10s various vans into the 3500 range and dodge (x)bodys with swing arms.
By far I like Iron beams.. I always will.

pacodiablo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
It depends on your needs. Some tasks require a full size, but if you don't really need one, they can be more of a burden than anything else. That's why their values tanked at the end of summer. They didn't make such good grocery getters with $4/gal gas.

I like F-150s and F-250s. The most fun I have had driving was in a '99 6-speed PSD F-250 my cousin owns. However, I wouldn't trade my Ranger for another truck, or anything really. It's a great DD for me.

It's a shame that the small truck market is a wreck right now. I don't really get it. In the 1990s when small trucks were all reasonably sized, sales were great. People didn't even care that much about fuel economy then, but they bought more Rangers than Camrys. Now, most small trucks are bloated gas hogs that are nearly in full size territory. The Tacoma is the sales leader, but its sales are a fraction of what Ranger sales were just a few years ago. The Ranger has just been left for dead, but somehow manages to still hang on to the #2 spot for sales, probably because it is the only true compact truck left.

bmacsys

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
that f-250 is a waste unless its a pstroke
I have to disagree with you there. Unless you are towing heavy loads the V8 and the V10 are sufficient powerplants.

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
but somehow manages to still hang on to the #2 spot for sales, probably because it is the only true compact truck left.
It sales look good because of fleet sales. Utility companies, parts stores, ect.

low_five

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I love my little rangers. The road I live on is a (barely) maintained dirt road and whenever it rains (3-5 days a week) the road becomes the surface of the moon in texture and appearance. My duramax strains and lumbers over the potholes, my 72 f-250 is stiff and jars every bone in my body. my little rusty ranger flies over them like nothing.

if they made cheap little cars with AWD and sturdy suspensions, they would probably be just as fun.

bmacsys

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I love my little rangers. The road I live on is a (barely) maintained dirt road and whenever it rains (3-5 days a week) the road becomes the surface of the moon in texture and appearance. My duramax strains and lumbers over the potholes, my 72 f-250 is stiff and jars every bone in my body. my little rusty ranger flies over them like nothing.

if they made cheap little cars with AWD and sturdy suspensions, they would probably be just as fun.

Is it a Chinese road? Is that what those oiled roads are called in Alaska and Canada?

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
that f-250 is a waste unless its a pstroke
Have you driven one? Or is this what everyone tells you?

I had a 2002 F-250 with the Triton V8.

It had 3.73 gears and an automatic. Rated to tow 7,100# More times than one I towed almost double that weight 10-20 miles. One trailer was 40' and weighted 13,800#

I wanted the Powerstroke, but even the 5.4 will get the job done if you have patience.

Sold it to buy a house.

dangeranger01

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
The 5.4l should have never been put in the SD's. To much truck and not enough motor. We have an 2006 Supercrew with the 3valve 5.4l and its barly enough motor for that, its a gutless wonder without the chip.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ranger's are fun to drive, but the room to stretch out in is nice in a fullsize... plus it is nice to be able to pull more than a trailer of brush to the dump.

Ranger's will always be a play truck for me. Fun to play around in but not really all that great for seating more than 2 people or hauling anything bigger than a lawn mower.

hihoslvr

Banned
--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'04
Make / Model
F.O.R.D.
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I like my Ranger enough, good truck for the money. Drove a couple '02 SD PS's at work this summer, one auto and 1 manual, liked 'em both, with the manual being more fun, but the auto was easier to wheel. I wish they still made the F150 with a manual, and I'm somewhat disappointed that you can't a new Ranger with a V6 and a long bed, anymore.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals