• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Flashing lights.

CheapThrills

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
So, as I've been browsing the forums, I've seen a few topics with the same problem as me. But I haven't seen them post that they did this http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/Apr04/offroad.htm. After I did that, it worked fine for a while. My hubs went bad, and I replaced them, and after that, I noticed the 4hi and 4low blinking on my dash, 6 times a minute. I was wondering if anyone has had the same problem after permanently locking their hubs. Thank you.

CheapThrills

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
or if anyone has a solution to the blinking lights other than to take my t-case apart.

CheapThrills

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I'm about to take off my t-case motor, and give it a cleaning. I'll let you all know how it goes.

triumphrider-1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F150
Engine Size
3.7L
Transmission
Automatic
It has to be something with the motor/circuit. The 6 times means something specifically, but I don't remember off hand what (thought it was something about engagement...).

CheapThrills

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, it does not engage at all.. I found out the hard way.

ElleShooTiger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Do you hear any clicking from the 4x4 relay module behind the radio?? Does the transfer case engage?

If t/c is not engaging, clean the motor first, then if you dont hear any clicking again, its either the 4x4 relay module or the BCM. I replaced the motor on my 98, no change, put in a new relay, no change, after testing the wiring according to the Service Manual, it wound up being a bad BCM.

It had shifted into 4x4 low before it stopped working, I've heard that when it does that, the position readings get screwed up because of a small rubber piece in the position sensor, and mine kept trying to shift or something until the BCM's 4x4 controls burned out.

CheapThrills

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
No clicking at all. I'm going to pick up electrical cleaner tomorrow when I get up. I'm not made of money, scrapping metal as a decent earning right now. I mean it worked just fine before I replaced the hubs, and then it went out. But thank you. I'll get back to you on it.

ElleShooTiger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I survey and load ships for a scrap company, its good business right now haha.

If you really need the 4wd, you can remove the motor and manually shift the transfer case with some pliers. The body of the t/c has markings that tell you what gear its in.

CheapThrills

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
It's not that I need it, it's just good to have in case I do need it. You know?

TwoTrackMind

Reaction score
in my truck mostly, but I do hit the house in Mich
Vehicle Year
1998 et al
Make / Model
Ford/AutoZone
Engine Size
3.0L at best
Transmission
Manual
If you really need the 4wd, you can remove the motor and manually shift the transfer case with some pliers. The body of the t/c has markings that tell you what gear its in.
I did that for a while ok. But the shaft is a funky 3 sided shape and the pliers keep trying to slide off (probably why they made it 3 sided). A work around for that was to take the motor case apart, take the big gear out (clean it up a bit) then use that to shift the transfer case with. It fit the shaft perfectly (imagine that) and is big enough to get easy leverage to overcome the big positioning spring.

Still, the hassle with that is getting under the truck to do it. If you seldom use it then maybe thats the way to go.

CheapThrills

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I did that for a while ok. But the shaft is a funky 3 sided shape and the pliers keep trying to slide off (probably why they made it 3 sided). A work around for that was to take the motor case apart, take the big gear out (clean it up a bit) then use that to shift the transfer case with. It fit the shaft perfectly (imagine that) and is big enough to get easy leverage to overcome the big positioning spring.

Still, the hassle with that is getting under the truck to do it. If you seldom use it then maybe thats the way to go.
I took off the motor today, cleaned the plugs, and took it apart and did a quick clean. It still didn't shift. I replaced the fuse, it worked one time, and then shut off, and flashed again. The fuse isn't blown though.

CheapThrills

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
And what I've noticed is since I replaced the fuse, on a cold start, the lights wont blink, so I'll put it in neutral, switch it to 4-hi and it will click like it engages, then about 5 seconds later, it'll click a good 4-5 times, and the lights will come on..

hoohah797

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I had a similar problem just earlier this week. Mine would not go from 2H to 4H. I would get a number of clicks and the 4WD light would blink. Ended up getting and remaned TC motor and slapped that on. Now, it works great. Not sure if we've got the same problem, but thought I'd throw my solution out there.

CheapThrills

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
That seems about right to what mines doing. Appreciate the feedback.

kenm1975

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Hard work pays more than laziness. When a problem arises step back smoke a cigarette and work it out
Mine does the exact same thing

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals