• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

tailgate strap lengths

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
On the tailgate of my build, i want to shorten the tailgate straps by an inch and a half or so. Don't want anyone sitting on it when it is open and also having a bit of an angle will give it a distinctive look at car shows, plus it will eliminate the chance of rubbing on the bottom where the roll pan is.

has anyone easily shorten their strap or know of a different truck's strap that will slip into place with or without some modifications. (IE, drilling the holes larger...)

thanks

... or know where i can get the 4 fittings that are raw without the cables and i can make my own? thanks

Last edited:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
If they are like the ones on my 88 they are just bolted on. You can fabricate some to your desired length using a couple of body washers and weld on whatever length of cable you want. You could even cut the existing ones and splice in a small joiner...or fab up one or the other end.

I thought about making my own when I couldn't find the ones I wanted but I went to a junkyard and found a few that had recently been installed. I wanted to remove one end and put on a protective covering to help keep the rust out but since I didn't have easy access to a welder I just cleaned the old ones up at first.

But, then again, my truck wasn't going to be displayed in public like yours will so I can understand your desire to have something that looks as good as the rest of the truck...

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Another idea might be to just cut a length of 1/8" or 3/16" flat bar and drill a hole in each end big enough so it will slip over the bolts on the tailgate and fender wall. Open tailgate, slip bar in place, all good. Paint it to match the truck. It would be clean and simple.

If I recall, really old trucks had 2-piece tailgate holders made of flat bars hinged in the middle by a big rivet. Biggest problem is th at they probably rattled while driving. The modern plastic coated cables are quiet.

Eric B

saskbill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Another idea might be to just cut a length of 1/8" or 3/16" flat bar and drill a hole in each end big enough so it will slip over the bolts on the tailgate and fender wall. Open tailgate, slip bar in place, all good. Paint it to match the truck. It would be clean and simple...

Eric B
Interesting concept. Thes guys don't seem to make an 'old Ranger' version (yet), but it is a nice clean idea, and you can still keep the cables...

https://www.dgmtailgatesupport.com/gallery/tailgate-product-photos/

These guys are a little fancier (again no Ranger-specific model):

https://www.tailgateadjuster.com/products/chevrolet-gmc-ford-dodge

Last edited:

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Those ratcheting things look cool. A bit pricey and I didn't see any for Rangers. Maybe the F150 models would work.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Another idea might be to just cut a length of 1/8" or 3/16" flat bar and drill a hole in each end big enough so it will slip over the bolts on the tailgate and fender wall. Open tailgate, slip bar in place, all good. Paint it to match the truck. It would be clean and simple.

If I recall, really old trucks had 2-piece tailgate holders made of flat bars hinged in the middle by a big rivet. Biggest problem is th at they probably rattled while driving. The modern plastic coated cables are quiet.

Eric B
that sounds interesting...:icon_thumby:

Interesting concept. Thes guys don't seem to make an 'old Ranger' version (yet), but it is a nice clean idea, and you can still keep the cables...

https://www.dgmtailgatesupport.com/gallery/tailgate-product-photos/

These guys are a little fancier (again no Ranger-specific model):

https://www.tailgateadjuster.com/products/chevrolet-gmc-ford-dodge
I like the yellow ones...looks like they would work with a Ranger...my computer is giving me fits when I try to zoom in on images so I can't get a closeup of them...but for a show truck that you want to leave the tailgate in a fixed position both these ideas would work...

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
thanks for the web pages of ideas... interesting however, not really what i was after... a bit pricey alright.

mark, i was thinking of the same thing with some metal and attempt to build a set.... was looking to see if there was a simple way to get a set that would work or be close with small mods needed... will look into washers first and see what can be done.

eric, yes i did think of that also with the 2 flat bars, then wasn't sure if it would work or not...

talked to the mechanic at work yesterday and he was aying that it might be possible to alter a set of new replacements. told me to brig in 1 of the old ones to see how it is made and if there is a way to cut it open and then reseal with brazing it...

thanks guys, and will up date this as i go.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You could also try making your own with a cable stop type setup.

Cut an end off, get all the old cabling out of it, then drill and tap a hole, cut your cable to length, stick it in, then put in a stop screw.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals