• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1990 Ranger Both headlights keep blowing

D4wGhosty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys I've been having issues with my headlights continually blowing. After looking through the forums I thought it was the headlight mounting, so I ordered 2 new headlight holders. Of course after a week or so there went another set of lights. After looking around I think it's either a shortage in the wiring or what a friend suggested a overvolting from the electricals. The lights keep going out left low then high, followed by right low and high in that order. Any ideas?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

1990 Ranger should use a headlight "bulb" not a sealed beam type.

Headlight "Bulbs" need to be handled differently, by NOT handling them, lol.
Any oils from your skin(fingers) or moisture inside the holder will cause them to burn out quickly when they heat up.
If the "bulb" jiggles while it is on it will burn out, like dropping a Trouble light when its on, lol, there goes the bulbs filament.
So make sure bulb holder, headlight assembly is dry inside and doesn't "jiggle", it must be tight

Get a volt meter and check voltage at battery, key off/engine off
12.3 to 12.8 volts is normal

Then start engine
14.2 to 14.9 volts is normal

It should drop to 13.5-13.9 volts after 5 minutes or so of running

BUT(big but)..........you could have a failing voltage regulator IN the alternator, that will push voltage above 14.9volts randomly, which is a bad thing.

If you are using the same manufacturer of the replacement bulbs try a different maker.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals