• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Headlights and interior lights flicker

masanders

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/75/15
My credo
Don't get louder, improve your argument.
Having some electrical issues and need some help please...

Lately my Ranger has had some electrical bugs creep up and I'm not sure what's going on.

Issue #1: When I'm driving at night I can see my stock radio display back lighting flickering. I can't tell if my instrument cluster is flickering or not.

Issue #2: While driving at night when I press my brake pedal, my headlights flicker. I think the hvac and other console (?) lights flicker as well but I'm not 100% on that.

Issue #3: My driver's side power lock switch will lock but will not unlock every time. It's very fickle. It's a new switch.

The only recent changes are that I took out my Kenwood stereo. Sometime back I rewired my fog lights (original setup did not have fog lights. Bought oem fog lights and wired them up with a kit from Painless Performance) and haven't had a problem with them since the rewiring.

Are these issues related?

Any help is appreciated!

masanders

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/75/15
My credo
Sorry...

2006 Ford Ranger XLT 4x2

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Check all your battery cable connections first. After you confirm everything there is good and tight get out your volt meter and do a redneck-ripple test. Set it to AC voltage, on the smallest scale available and check voltage across the battery with the engine idling. .3V AC is ok, anything more is excessive and the alternator will need replaced, or if you can find a place that rebuilds them the voltage rectifier (usually part of the regulator) will need replaced.

AC voltage bleeding into the system through a failing rectifier can cause what you have described. It happens in house lighting too, but you don't notice it because the cycle is faster than the human eye can register. If you want to see the effect find an old CRT monitor or TV and look at it through a video camera.

masanders

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/75/15
My credo
Check all your battery cable connections first. After you confirm everything there is good and tight get out your volt meter and do a redneck-ripple test. Set it to AC voltage, on the smallest scale available and check voltage across the battery with the engine idling. .3V AC is ok, anything more is excessive and the alternator will need replaced, or if you can find a place that rebuilds them the voltage rectifier (usually part of the regulator) will need replaced.

AC voltage bleeding into the system through a failing rectifier can cause what you have described. It happens in house lighting too, but you don't notice it because the cycle is faster than the human eye can register. If you want to see the effect find an old CRT monitor or TV and look at it through a video camera.
I'll do that soon. I forgot to mention that I did replace my alternator a few months back because the rectifier went bad.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Still check it, because sometimes those replacement ones are less than great. Even from Ford.

One time I was dealing with a Mustang, I put four alternators on it in 6 months, and this thing barely got driven. The warranty department was getting ready to audit us and charge us back for three of them and then we found out that the facility doing the Ford authorized reman units that Warranty wanted us using were doing a piss poor job. We got the OK to put a brand new one on and never had another issue with that car.

masanders

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/75/15
My credo
Alrighty...I only know scratch the surface basics of electricity but I got this reading:

On AC I had 2.1V on the 200m setting. I'm not sure what the lowest setting is supposed to be.

masanders

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/75/15
My credo
Or is that supposed to be .21v?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals