• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

need wire diagram for cap/topper hookup

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
it's time to re-wire the back of my 2005 regular cab and cap because corrosion and numerous splices have evolved into a big mess.

the last straw was a wire breaking off of a black box. now the hi mount brake light blinks with the right turn signal.

looks like a wire from each turn/brake has a line going to that black box, then it feeds the hi-mount.

I may rip all that out and run a line from the cabs hi-mount. that would only need power and ground.

thanks

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Is this the "black box" you have: http://www.centurydistributing.com/electricallogicboxes.html

You need to replace it or run a brake light wire from engine bay or cab brake pedal switch.

The 3rd brake light on the top back of cab has direct wire from brake pedal switch, rear brake lights run thru turn signal stalk, so can't be used for topper 3rd light without the "black Box"

You also need a Ground wire of course

Last edited:

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
yep, that's my black box. it may be just a couple of diodes, each lets current from one side in while preventing current from the other side getting out.

Century Distributing is only a couple hours west of me, right off I 80/90.

Road Trip!!

it's great being retired, I can pick any sunny day and drive thru the countryside. "but honey, I need that part" :icon_thumby:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Not to wreck a good road trip but............any auto parts store will have those, or canopy shop :)

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
Not to wreck a good road trip but............any auto parts store will have those, or canopy shop :)

worse than that...

I searched my stash and found a couple of diodes that have been laying around in the basement for about 23 years. splice the positive end to the 12v side of each brake light, send the negative sides up to the 3rd light, then on to ground.

either diode blocks current from one brake light from back-feeding the other.

I also found a full bridge rectifier. run the brake lights 12v into the AC leads, send the + output to the 3rd light. then on to ground.

damn, now I gotta think up another excuse for a road trip. :D

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals