• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ghost Voltage in Brake light circut

RockRanger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
93 ranger no cruise.

I am working on swapping in some LED lights for my flat bed and am getting a ghost 7.8 volts to the rear brake light wires only when the ignition is on.

Key off brake lights work fine and no ghost voltage at the brake lights. Turn key on and the rear LED's will dimly light up.

Pulled the harness apart above drivers front tire and the voltage stays on the cab side of the plug. No voltage then in the wire running the length of the frame to the back.

Disconnect the brake switch at the pedal. Have 12V to the always hot side and 7.8V to the side that eventually goes to the the brake lights.

Pulled the harness apart at the large connector going into the cab. Have 7.8V on both sides of it.

Any ideas and does anyone have better wiring diagrams then whats in the back of a Haynes manual?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Did you install the ground-side resistors for the LEDs? That happens because the LEDs don't have the resistance to block bleed-through voltage like incandescents do.

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yes, I have a lot of the 1993 EVTM schematics in .pdf format.

Send me a Private Message with your e-mail address and I'll send you what I've got.
It's not the whole book, but it is quite a few files.

RockRanger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Did you install the ground-side resistors for the LEDs? That happens because the LEDs don't have the resistance to block bleed-through voltage like incandescents do.
No I didn't. The voltage is only there when the ignition is turned on. The brake lights work with or without the ignition turned on. To me that means there is something tied to the brake light circuit only when it is hot. I am wondering if something is being fed through the rear wheel ABS system.

I did find that my trailer light harness was defective so I tossed it and am now running a separate amber light for the turn signals.

Yes, I have a lot of the 1993 EVTM schematics in .pdf format.

Send me a Private Message with your e-mail address and I'll send you what I've got.
It's not the whole book, but it is quite a few files.
PM Sent.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals