• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

HID Options?

Are HIDs worth the investment?

• Yes, but don't buy the Ebay ones. Buy a well known brand.

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Yes

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters

MorganMcCann

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I'm just curious as to what kind of options are out there for HIDs in our trucks.
I've read some posts that say you need to have projector lenses/housings, and some that don't.
I'm also not clear on how long the HID bulb will last compared to a normal bulb.
I understand that I would need a bi--xenon bulb if I want high and low beams, which I do.
What are the benefits of HIDs besides clearer light?
Also, what are my options for buying bulbs/temperatures/ballasts?
Thanks!

bigmark303

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
A projector housing is needed PERIOD if you are using any HID bulb. Putting an HID bulb in a factory halogen housing is not only illegal but it also gets you known as that guy who blinds everyone on the road.

Even with a proper projector housing to focus the light vs reflect the light as your stock housing does its still very blinding to other drivers and does not offer any better light projection than a Sylvania Silver Star bulb in a normal (factory) halogen housing with a clear lense cover.

Be polite and dont blind people:icon_thumby:

MorganMcCann

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I have never heard of those laws, just laws for colored lights.

bigmark303

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
Headlight laws are under the DOT traffic laws and you can find them on your states Registry of Motor Vehicle website or call your local police station and they can very quickly explain the law to you.

The issue with running an HID bulb or any other high focus bulb like that in a factory halogen housing is that it does not project the same and becomes obnoxiously blinding even at low intensity. A halogen housing which your Ranger has is made to reflect light from a halogen designed bulb. An HID bulb that you find in BMW, Audi, Acura, and more have special housings that focus the light projected so that it does not reflect and scatter as it does in a halogen housing.

Because HIDs in halogen housings scatter is why it is illegal. The light is intense from every angle and becomes blinding to anyone in front of it. A projector housing focuses the light into an intense forward projection and allows an adequate amount of that light to the sides and down but not at the intensity it allows for the straight ahead projection. There is also a top cut of point in which the light can not travel upward enough as to blind someone in their rear view you are following from behind.

If you ever notive a new BMW coming toward you the headlights are very bright on angles but when the car gets straight with you and closer the light is projected correctly and it does not glare at you.

Almost all aftermarket projectors are cheap and dont focus the light properly.

Even vehicle manufacturer HID projectors dont work perfect and still blind other drivers. The point of focus in say and F250 truck is almost directly in the eye of any car driver. So while that F250 wont blind other trucks as high as it, it will blind every vehicle that sits lower.

HIDs seem to be very popular with the younger crowd customizing and being different but overall they are an obnoxious light that many drivers wish were never invented for automobile use. I myself have put the heel of my boot through numerous vehicles headlights with those bulbs at stop lights after they have been following me at night and even durring the day which is worse than at night especially in your rearview mirror.

Give it some thought. Be polite and if you really want those type lights get a projector housing and aim them low out of the eyes of other drivers. Overall if you follow the laws with changing to HIDs youll notice you actually only gain a minimal distance and actually lose light to the sides and top vs the normal halogen housings with clear lenses and Silver Star bulbs. Most aftermarket HID setups are installed in an illegal fashion not following the law guidelines and while they do project far more light its also why they blind everyone else. A proper installed and operating HID setup is not suppose to project like a spotlight and light up the roofs of 3 story homes.

Last edited:

MorganMcCann

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Well my housings are all jacked up, and when I swapped them out I was debating on going to HID's.
What options are there for good projector housings with side markers for a 99?

bigmark303

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
I myself only know of one make. There is a set form Pro Tuning Labs that has the headlight, side marker, and hazard all in one. Plus all the bulbs and installation package.

Ive seen them on ebay before. Ive never seen anyone with them so im not sure how they project. You could probably find some youtube videos of them :dunno:

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
buy a kit with projector housings.. buy 55 watt, hi/low set.
get something around a 5k for pure white.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
IMO, the HID was worth the money... I now have projector housings and a kit from offroadgears.com (friend of mine's company) and I love them. It helps a lot.

pay attention to your cutoff point, make sure your lights are aimed right. If you do it, do it right.

MorganMcCann

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
If I understand this correctly, I could just buy separate housings and buy the ballasts and bulbs from any company?
Will 55w melt the housing? I've read online you should stick to 30w.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
If I understand this correctly, I could just buy separate housings and buy the ballasts and bulbs from any company?
Will 55w melt the housing? I've read online you should stick to 30w.
just buy housings made for 55w... I'd buy them separate since most of the "kits" are cheaper HIDs. I have 55w but my housings are glass... Only time I've seen people have problems with 55w is in fog light housings.

MorganMcCann

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Do you need projectors for the LED's?

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Don't know but for that price for a pair I could probably buy another truck.

Lil-Pony

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Take a Guess
Engine Size
2.8 soon to be 4bt
Transmission
Automatic
i hate it when people who dont know what they are talking about lead others astray.
i just bought these well made usa manufactured hids off ebay.http://www.ebay.com/itm/HID-9007-High-Low-Bi-Xenon-55W-Digital-Conversion-Kit-/120554437609?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1999%7CMake%3AFord%7CModel%3ARanger&hash=item1c119abbe9

these are 55w version so they are extemely bright and meant for only high beams and off road. there are also 75w that are purely racing and offroad use only but they are hard to find being the market for them is so small.

in color temp dont go higher than 6000k, i have a pair of 6000k and i wish i bought 5000k or 4300k, the lower the temp the more output. it is complete bull$$$$ that these can only be put in projectors, my offroad hids are in relfection housings and they are 180$ a pair. hell KC hid are reflected.... now think about it, why would KC sell subpar stuff.

for your truck you would need exactly whats in the link in either 35w or 55w, and at 4300k, it will give a oem look thats just brighter. i just installed a pair similar, but same manufacture as above on my 98 dodge ram. and they are amazing and blinding every one is bs. those that blind are using cheap bulbs that produce more off axes light than a lantern. rant over.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals