• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ranger vs Tacoma

alperin

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I'm about to purchase a truck which will occasionally be used for towing cars (~10x per year). I've eliminated the dakota and am down to a 98+ ranger or a 96+ tacoma. My budget is around $3K.

I've been reading the owners manuals for both trucks and was surprised to find out how much more the Tacoma is rated to tow, even with considerably less power. The 2.4L 4 cyl tacoma is rated for 3,500 lbs, the ranger with the 4.0L V6 is only rated for 3,660. Those figures are both for the 5spd models, which is a must.

What's the deal? Does ford just significantly under rate the towing capacity? Or is the Toyota a superior platform for towing?

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Look at the automatic towing specs for the Ranger. Ford under rates their 5spd trucks due to the fact most people can't ''actually'' use a clutch properly. The manual trans is stronger than the auto, but still under rated.

Also check that you are comparing trucks with similar axle ratios and tire sizes.

A 4cyl truck with 4.56 gears could easily out tow a 6cyl truck with 3.27 gears with the same tires
A 4cyl truck with 205/70r15s could out tow a 6cyl truck with 265/75r15s using the same gears (not considering tire load ratings)

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Brakes play probably the biggest role in determining the tow rating.
If I wanted to tow with a small truck it would probably be a 4.7 5 speed dakota.

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
Yep, what the first poster said. Ford underrates the manual transmission vehicles to avoid replacing clutches under warranty because people don't know how to work a clutch when towing. Assuming you know how to use a clutch when towing, you should be just fine and the clutch will last just fine. And the manual trannies are stronger than the automatics.

I've towed 5000+ with my explorer and it was fine. Just do yourself and everyone else on the road a favor and get trailer brakes. Anything over 2500 lbs with a ranger/tacoma sized puller needs to have trailer brakes!

And as for the ranger, 97 down had much better front suspensions than the 98+ trucks.

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
x2 on the 97 and older

Ideally, a 93-97 4x4 Super cab 4.0L 5spd

Super cab because the wheelbase is longer for more stable towing, also alot more interior room.
4x4 for the extra frontend weight to improve handling and braking, and versatility of having 4wd when needed.

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
If your budget is around $3k, I'd lean towards the Ranger if you want something that new. I did a quick search on Craigslist, and the cheapest Tacoma I saw was a '95 that needed a clutch soon for $5k.

Your area may be different, but Toyotas sell like hot cakes around here.

pacodiablo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
4.0 automatics are rated for 6,000 lbs. The 5-speed models can handle that just fine if you know how to drive it.

On Tacomas, beware of serious frame rot. It affects models all the way up to 2004. Toyota is buying back some trucks and replacing the frames on others. They won't touch trucks with rebuilt/salvage titles though. Just something you should be aware of.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
And as for the ranger, 97 down had much better front suspensions than the 98+ trucks.
That may be true for off-road stuff but not so when towing. I have towed many miles with 89 and 02 4WD Supercab Rangers. My preference between the two is the 02. Sure the 4.0 SOHC engine is a big plus but the 02 also has better stability. If I drove the 89 over 72 mph, I had to be on the alert of potential whipping. I can drive the 02 at 75 mph or more without fear of whipping. I am sure there is a maximum speed where whipping could be a problem but I have no desire to go faster than 75.

BTW, there are states that have a 75 mph speed limit for vehicles that are towing.

alperin

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I'm just about set on getting the ranger. Now what is this issue with the pre 98 being better? Bear in mind I'll be towing once a month max, this will be my daily driver. Towing is not my primary concern. I'm leaning towards the 3.0L just for the increased fuel economy. Why are some of you saying the 97's and down is better?

07rangersport

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm just about set on getting the ranger. Now what is this issue with the pre 98 being better? Bear in mind I'll be towing once a month max, this will be my daily driver. Towing is not my primary concern. I'm leaning towards the 3.0L just for the increased fuel economy. Why are some of you saying the 97's and down is better?
The 3.0 won't do much better mpg wise than the 4.0

pacodiablo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
'97 and older models use Twin I Beam and Twin Traction Beam (4WD) front suspensions. They are very strong, but proper alignment is essential.

'98+ models use a SLA fully independent front suspension. There's nothing wrong with it, but some people are hellbent on having the old design. TTB is a better choice if you want to do serious off roading that will require suspension mods.

If you are getting a 2WD, get a '98+ with the coil spring suspension. It's the best handling suspension you can get in a Ranger and is pretty solid. I had 93,000 miles on my 2001 when I sold it on the factory alignment, and it was still well within spec.

Also, if you are looking at regular cabs, '98+ models have more room. Ford added 3" to the back of the cab that year.

yellowford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
The 3.0 will most likely not be able to tow a car if that is what you plan on towing, you will be much happier with the 4.0 and have a stronger rear axle to go along with it.

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
'97 and older models use Twin I Beam and Twin Traction Beam (4WD) front suspensions. They are very strong, but proper alignment is essential.

'98+ models use a SLA fully independent front suspension. There's nothing wrong with it, but some people are hellbent on having the old design. TTB is a better choice if you want to do serious off roading that will require suspension mods.

If you are getting a 2WD, get a '98+ with the coil spring suspension. It's the best handling suspension you can get in a Ranger and is pretty solid. I had 93,000 miles on my 2001 when I sold it on the factory alignment, and it was still well within spec.

Also, if you are looking at regular cabs, '98+ models have more room. Ford added 3" to the back of the cab that year.
Nah, not just extreme offroading. On a TTB/TIB, you set the alignment, torque the wheel bearings to spec and then you can beat the living **** out of it for 100,000+ miles without anything going wrong.

On a 98+ SLA truck you'll be dealing with worn out ball joints, replacing CV shafts, shimmy gremlins that are near impossible to solve once they show up, rotors that shimmy after being on the truck for 10,000 miles and the list goes on and on. And if that doesn't convince you, look at the difference in price for a set of front wheel bearings for a 97 vs. a 98 :shok:

Believe me, I've owned and worked on both setups. Everyone rags on the TTB because most of the old Fords you see are running around with negative camber due to spring sag. But once you set everything right the TTB/TIB will take a serious beating and not require maintenance for very long intervals. The SLA is just weaker, more problem prone, and just requires a lot more maintenance.

If your talking about getting a truck with less than 50k on it, it's probably not a big deal. But if you're talking about the 150k variety, the TTB/TIB will be far fewer headaches and annoyances.

FWIW, the toy's had solid axles up to like 85? Then they switched to SLA. Ford was the last hold out going to 98 before switching. Some things just get worse the newer they get.

Last edited:

pacodiablo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
How does SLA require more maintenance? It's all sealed. I never touched anything but the shocks on my 2001. My 2002 had an outer tie rod end replaced because the boot got ripped open, but otherwise I haven't done anything to it either. The previous owner of my '95 Explorer replaced the ball joints at around 140K miles, but other than that the suspension was fine (aside from shocks that were rusted through). Changing ball joints once a decade isn't too bad...just use quality replacements.

If I were going to buy a truck specifically to take off road, I would buy a TTB truck. For a street driven DD though, I wouldn't change my coil spring SLA suspension for anything.

Wheel bearings are expensive on 4WD SLA trucks because you are buying a whole sealed hub assembly that should last a long time. Wheel bearings for my 2WD coil spring truck cost the same as ones for a TIB truck.

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
Got the shimmies yet? If not, you will soon. I've been beating my head against a wall trying to work the shimmies out of my parents 99 2wd F-150 with coil spring SLA. It only has 120k miles on it, the last 15k with an annoying shimmy. My 99 Bonneville also has the same problem (fwd cars have a front suspension very similar to the front end of a SLA 4x4). They get miles on them and getting rid of the shimmies is dang near impossible. I've replaced every front end part on that car, including the tires, had it aligned 3 times (front and rear) and it still has a slight shimmy.

I've had 2 low mileage, well maintained, SLA vehicles shear a ball joint going down the road (NOT a fun experience) and heard of it happening to at least half a dozen other people. Ever heard of that happening on a TTB/TIB truck? Not a chance.

Sorry but my experience tells me not to buy SLA vehicles.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals