• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Sbc swap.what front and rear differential do I need

Robx92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'm going to be swapping a 357 sbc in my 88 4x4 ranger what front and rear differential do you guys use

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
under 350 hp?

the ranger d35 in sla or ttb and 8.8 out back with a full carrier locker with up to a 35 in tire work ok to pretty good with mild abuse.

over 350 hp and i would go to a ttb 44 or at least a worked straight axle 44 up front and a 60 out back if tires 35 or larger are on the agenda and 4x4 use is moderate. if heavy use is planned rcv axles for the ttb 44 or straight axle will put you near stock d60 territory but it will cost some big cash.

in your case, with a straight axle swap using a driver drop or passenger drop is up to you and what t case you want to use. actually in any case it is up to you what side you want the front pumpkin on....but with a chevy engine its just easier.

if i had a bored out 350 laying around....i would sell it and go with a ls platform...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals