• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New member 5.0 swap

Tbones

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hello all, I recently bought a 04 ranger with a blown 3.0 and a 5spd manual with the intention of swapping in a 5.0. I just got a 1998 explorer 5.0 EB edition for a great price with only 155k kms on it (96k miles).

Bought it because a tech article here said 98+ ranger use a 98-01 explorer for ease of install, almost everything just works.

Background on me, was a mechanic for 4 years. Owned 2 1998 rangers, one I drove for 10 years and never laid a wrench to it other than oil and brake changes. Almost have always had a ranger and a mustang. Currently own an 05 mustang (headers, intake, hot rod cams, 5spd with hurst, lowered, 4.10 gears, roush converted body cept for front end, etc etc)

Been doing alot of reading here and will continue to do so over the next week as I want to make sure I take EVERYTHING from the explorer that i will need.

My ranger is 2wd while the Explorer is AWD so may complicate things a bit. This coming weekend Ill be tearing down the explorer, removing the drivetrain, rear axle, interior, engine harness, steering column for PATS along with the little box I guess is behind the glove box that is also for pats.

The transmission/transfer case wont be any good to me so sell that and replace with a T5 manual. Though which year is best for my setup I still havent determined. Would like the speedo to work. Getting the tach to work ive read is as simple as switching a pin around.

The eddie bauer seats are nice, but beige while my interior is gray. Ill be using SEM products during the swap to get them gray to see how it turns out. Be nice to have bucket seats in there, and all power.

Been reading alot but if you have any advice concerning this swap Ill be more than glad to hear it. Ill be updating as I do it with more pics as I go along.
Some to get us started:

My 04 Ranger:

With blown 3.0 (recessed exhaust valve)

The 98 explorer:

Great running 5.0:

Let the games begin....

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Welcome! Only big problem with going with a newer than a '03' is having the digital spedo. Have to check in the swap section to see if it's easily done.Hope you like that Stang like I did with my '05'.
Dave

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I worked out the electrics for an 04 Ranger with a 97 Expo -- no insurmountable issues but there are a few issues that cropped up.

On the 04, not all the engine electrics go through the 42 pin connector under the hood, there's a pigtail at the transmission that also plugs into the body. That pigtail includes some of the emissions wiring.

A real surprise was was the 97 PCM did not like the 04 evap purge solenoid and we never did get the 04 temp gauge to work correctly.

As it seems always with the Ranger/Expo wiring, the big trick is with the A/C controls but again, no surprises and the controls can be adapted without major pain and angst.

Tbones

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well mine will be a bit different. I read on a sticky here that easiest install to a 98+ Ranger is a 98-01 Expo. You used a 97 so that may be why there was some wiring issues.

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Nope, without PATS, the electrics were a bit easier, it was altering the fuel system to a lower pressure system with a fuel return from the fuel rail and the updated wiring of the 04 that added a bit of complication.

Your '98 Expo will need the same mods to the fuel system and you'll have to deal with PATS as well.

Tbones

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Question, is the 5.0s fuel pressure regulator in the tank?

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Depends on the year/fuel pressure:

The '96 - '98 Expo uses an on-rail FPR set at about 30 psi, the '99 - 01 Expo uses an in-tank FPR set at about 60 psi.

Your '04 Ranger shares the 60 psi in-tank FPR system and will over pressure the '98 EFI system if you use try and run it with a '99 or newer fuel rail.

There might be a suitable FPR for the in-tank system that would maintain the 30/35 psi for the '98 EFI, but lord only knows where.

Personally, I think it's better to pull the in-tank FPR and run a fuel return from the fuel rail to the fuel filter area and marry the new return to the original Ranger at the back of the fuel filter and finish up with an earlier Expo spec fuel filter but I'm sure others have found other solutions.

willy

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 explorer
Transmission
Automatic
Just run a returnline and use the 98 stuff with a 97 computer and all is good

Tbones

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok sounds easiest to pull my rangers fpr, keep current fuel rail from 98 expo, run the return to back behind the filter. Why a 97 computer? My 98 computer from expo won't work?

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The '98 PCM has PATS built in, the '97 does not.

Going to the '97 simpifies the wiring, eliminates the need for transponder chip keys and the related hassle of getting the keys progeammed into the PATS system.

If you plan on a manual transmission, you'll need a custom tune for the PCM to eliminate the auto box functions and could have PATS turned off at the same time making the '98 PCM an acceptable path too.

Part of the issue is the Ranger and Expo use different versions of PATS. The Expo/Mounty has an addional module that would need to be installed and wired in.

So:

Custom tune to eliminate PATS would be about $450.00

A tow to the Ford dealer to cut and program keys, again about $450.00

A Pre-PATS PCM, less than $100.

But..... If you've got two original transponder keys (not clones ) for the Expo/Mounty, you can do the PATS programming yourself for about $25.00

Tbones

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ahh ok, I only have 1 key.

I would like to go manual, but may stick with an auto as around here everyone want 500+ for a t5. Am I able to use the current 4wd transmission from the expo in my 2wd with the front driveshaft off or will it throw a bunch of codes?

I may at first try all the expo wiring for the pats problems. Using the steering column (where receiver is correct?), the module by glove box and the pcm. If I use all 3 shouldnt be a problem correct? Id just have to add the wiring for the extra module.

I dont tear either truck apart until this weekend so going to see if I can find some threads on adding that module. Im good with wiring but if its way too much hassle Ill go the 97 pcm route. Thanks for all this info!

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Tbones:

You are correct on your PATS assumption. I got the EVTM manuals for my Ranger and Explorer to figure out the wiring (different years than yours so, no help). <I wound up parting out the '98 Explorer I 1st got and getting a '99 as there were so many pain is @$$ issues>.

The most common Explorer transfer case behind the 5.0 is an AWD one. Without a front axle connected; all your Ranger would do is spin the front output shaft. And the Explorer 4r70w transmission needs a transfer case installed or it will puke out all the ATF (don't ask how I know :( ).

You can replace the Explorer auto with a Mustang one (3.8 has same bell housing as 5.0) but that isn't likely to be cheaper than T-5. Note: You can't just change tail shaft housings, as the 2wd tail shaft is about 4" longer than the 4wd one. And the tail shaft is installed from the front of the transmission; so you are looking at a transmission rebuilt to swap.

Tbones

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ya looks like Ill just cave and buy a t5. What year was your ranger?

willy

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 explorer
Transmission
Automatic
Running a 97 pvm on a 98 is simple just need the correct vss signal for the computer thsts whst im running snd getting my vss signal trom a bw4406 transfer case if you want 2wd just find a 96 or 97 4r70w in 2wd and repin the 98 trans case connector plug to match the trans

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals