• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Obd2 4.0 conversion

eathen520

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1991 ranger 3.0 5 speed and I am swapping in a 97 4.0 auto which is obd2 I have a complete donor vehicle and I am wondering what troubles I should expect to run into everyone please elaborate how there swap went and wat they ran into

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Take dash, wiring, everything, throw in older truck. You will probably need to make some brackets for mounting the dash.

There was a very nice thread on here about a 2004 swapped into an 87, which is functionally the same thing you are trying. It looked really good.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I assume both are 2WD or both 4WD?

OBD2 computer from the '97 will expect auto trans, and extra O2 sensor after Cat converters, but you would bring over 4.0l exhaust system anyway.

'91 used mechanical speedometer(cable), '97 used electronic, which is why you need to change the dash, but '97 still had electronic speed sensor(VSS) on transmission, not rear axle('98 and up) so you won't have to swap axle unless you wanted to.

eathen520

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
for the dash i would be making the 97 cluster bolt into the 91 dash and keeping 91 dash

eathen520

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
im also wondering does the 4.o flow more fuel do i need to get a new sending unit?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No, fuel system should be compatible, I think '97 4.0l still used return line system, same as '91 3.0l
'98/'99 is when Rangers were converted to Returnless, but look at the fuel rail on the 4.0l, it should have a Fuel Pressure Regulator on the lower intake passenger side front where the return fuel line hooks up

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals