• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Oil pan question -- 02 2WD Ranger w/5.0

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I've been disappointed with the fit of the generic FRP rear sump oil pan in my Ranger.

Since it seems that I'll be pulling the engine, I'm looking to improve the fit, particularly above the rack and pinion unit.

I've read that the original Expo cast aluminum sump won't work, but the later steel sumps will?

Where does the cast sump NOT fit?

Worst case, I'll raise the floor of the FRP front sump to fit just under the oil pump, and perhaps add some additional clearance for the left exhaust down pipe while the engine out but I'd rather a bolt in solution.

The other fit I've been less than happy with was the original Expo fan shroud -- Either the 5.0 sits higher in the Ranger than it does in the Expo or the radiator sits lower.

Think I'm going to see if the 3.0 Ranger's shroud could work, it appears to have a higher cutout for the fan than the 5.0 Expo.

Gotta admit, I'm really pleased with the conversion overall, just gotta find/fix the problem with the 5.0 and deal with a couple cosmetic issues.

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
I've been disappointed with the fit of the generic FRP rear sump oil pan in my Ranger.

Since it seems that I'll be pulling the engine, I'm looking to improve the fit, particularly above the rack and pinion unit.

I've read that the original Expo cast aluminum sump won't work, but the later steel sumps will?

Where does the cast sump NOT fit?

Worst case, I'll raise the floor of the FRP front sump to fit just under the oil pump, and perhaps add some additional clearance for the left exhaust down pipe while the engine out but I'd rather a bolt in solution.

The other fit I've been less than happy with was the original Expo fan shroud -- Either the 5.0 sits higher in the Ranger than it does in the Expo or the radiator sits lower.

Think I'm going to see if the 3.0 Ranger's shroud could work, it appears to have a higher cutout for the fan than the 5.0 Expo.

Gotta admit, I'm really pleased with the conversion overall, just gotta find/fix the problem with the 5.0 and deal with a couple cosmetic issues.

I ran into the same issues on my truck (99 2wd coil spring), OE 5.0 Explorer shroud clearance and oil pan/rack clearance. I used the stock Explorer stamped steel pan with the OE pump pick up. I do think the Felpro steel core gasket added a little additional problem with clearance but I did not investigate that further. I made three basic adjustments using the combination listed above. I raised the back of the transmission about 1/8 to 1/4 of and inch creating more clearance at the top of the shroud (also created slightly less clearance at the oil pan). I added a few spacers to each engine plate which raised the engine and helped the oil pan clearance but did reduce some clearance at the top of the shroud. I opened the holes on the mounting tabs of the shroud and raised it as high as possible without sacrificing the bottom mounting points. These adjustments gave me slightly more than 1/4 inch at the oil pan and almost 1/2 inch at the top of the shroud. Several people with more knowledge than myself have said that the Ranger 3.0 shroud and the Explorer 5.0 shroud are different. The two examples I had were identical except for the "3.0" embossed script on that shroud. I do believe that there are some versions that do differ.

Here is a cut from my build thread that should give you an idea of what I was working with. It sounds very similar to yours.

So here is the plan, I am going to add a few washers as temporary spacers on both sides to raise the engine slightly. Once the desired clearance has been achieved the washers will be removed and permanent spacers will be cut to the exact thickness and welded directly to the engine plates.

With a little luck I will be able to slip a piece of card board completely under the oil pan between the steering rack.

With the correct combination of spacers on each side the engine sits level just like it belongs in the Ranger.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals