• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Finally doing the duraspark

Spede Demn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'85
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
Somethings wrong with timing advance in my 2.8L B2 so instead of fixing it Im doing the duraspark conversion, tore it apart yesterday, gotta run to the city to pick up a couple parts I ordered a few days ago, hopefully all goes well!!!

Just curious.... is it still possible to have cruise control with the duraspark setup? I have two parts B2s with cc I could pull parts from if it will work with the new carb.

rangerbum

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Manual
Yeah I hear you, I'm going to do the Duraspark swap here soon as well. Sick of the lack of reliability with the idiotic tfi system.

Spede Demn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'85
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
My '85 has actually been reliable for about 5 yrs but now that the timing advance isnt working I figure its a good time to do the swap. Its apart in the shop now so I guess Im committed to the task. Plus Im off work until the 6th without much else to do except move snow with garden tractors, gettin alot of seat time on those this winter so working on the B2 is a nice break.

Went into the city today and picked up the new carb so that was the last part I needed, also picked up some wiring supplies, Im gonna make any new harness sections reqiured, Im using all new parts so I want all new wiring aswell, total cost is probably around $750.

Lookin like today will be a snow removal day but hope to get back to work on the B2 sunday.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Take your time on the wiring, there is a grey 8 wire connector close to the ignition coil unplug it and strip the harness back to the alternator. Then remove the computer on the bulkhead in front of the passenger door. You will need to remove all the computer wiring so pull the bolts for the plate going through the firewall and just start disconnecting everything back to the alternator. You will only need to cut a couple wires to completely remove the computer harness so trace the wires from the alternator, and the water temp and oil pressure wires do not cut those wires and any wire you do cut from the 8 wire plug be sure and cut long. For the 85 use the second colored wiring diagram in the tech library for wiring the module. I have thought about adding cruise to mine just never found the donor for the task but my guess is the wires are in the computer harness be careful what wires you cut it may go through the 8 wire connector. You will be amazed how much room you gain by removing the computer harness and vacuum lines. Like I said cut any wires long for possible future use.

Spede Demn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'85
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
Still have a mess of wiring to cleanup and the vacumn lines arent done yet either but I had it running for a bit today, starts good, sounds good. I'll work on ripping out anything that isnt needed tomorrow. Pretty simple upgrade to do I would say.....Happy Happy

Spede Demn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'85
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
Got 90% of the crap out today, not alot of wiring left under the hood, went gor a couple test runs, still need some fine tuning on the carb and choke but everything is working.

Spede Demn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'85
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
So its all cleaned up and dialed in, went playin in the snow in the pasture for a bit...feels like I added 20hp, although on the highway it isnt as noticable, still just a 2.8L if you need to pass somebody but it is better than it was. I'll do a basic tune up tomorrow with new fuel and air filters, oil change and new pcv valve, new plugs.

One thing that wasnt mentioned in the instruction page here at TRS is that after this conversion the timing now needs to be set approx 12 degrees advanced where as originally its at tdc. Other than that the instructions are spot on and easy to follow, Thx for having them here. happy happy!!!

Last edited:

Spede Demn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'85
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
Almost 500km as a DD since the conversion and it hasnt burned to ground so thats a good sign. Only issue, which is likely not related to the conversion, is the heater fan is only working on the highest setting, First fill of fuel only shows 22mpg but I was still messing with timing advance and carb settings so that should improve a little more yet. Plus I was out in the pasture a couple times in the deep snow so thats hard on the mileage.

I drive home from work 30km at 2am so considering the amount of snow weve been getting lately its nice to drive something that will get thru most any weather, and with enough lights the deer cant sneak up on me because theres alot of them in the area.

So next Im hoping to get one of the parts trucks into the shop and start pulling it apart, one of them has been lifted a little bit, 2" I would guess, so I'll do that one first and swap the lift into the DD in the spring, might be some lower gears there also but I havent confirmed that yet.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
IIRC the one has a 2" body lift and 4.10 gearing, the other has 3.73.

Richard

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic

Spede Demn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'85
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
Richard did you actually confirm the gearing? I was under the impression that was hear say from someone else.

Ive never counted turns in the one Im driving but it doesnt seem to 'need' lower gears, but at this point it only has 29" tires which are little small considering the amount of snow were getting this year. That storm in early dec almost stranded us here if it wasnt for the B2. It is a little sluggish passing on the highway but I cant expect much from a 30 yr old 2.8L truck. I tried 31"s on it before and those would need lower gears if I decide to put them on again.

I havent much looked at any of those trucks yet, hardly got the full size Bronco in the yard before it got buried in snow. I did get the rear hatch on tho, it works well, probably leaks but so did the one I took off, theres a shop in Calgary I expect I can order weatherstrip from but I havent been to the city all winter. I kind of need to redirect my focus to a Ford garden tractor pretty soon so might not be much happen on the trucks for little while.

@kimcrwbr1... thx, I'll be looking into the heater issue here shortly, I tried two other switches when the dash was out but that didnt make any diff so I expect your correct on the resistor.

tidmarshsmiths5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l stock
Transmission
Manual
The Duraspark Conversion...that will be one of my projects eventually...it runs good and sometimes ok so not messing with it until it "breaks" or I win the lottery but I can't wait!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals