• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

building a body lift in shop class

treel98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 for now
Transmission
Automatic
Well, i am thinking about making a body lift in shop class so i can spend the money on either a suspension lift or tires and i need some info. 1 if i do a 3 inch lift how long do the bolts need to be probably 3 3/4 inch right? if some one could give me the exact details of a factory lift kit that you would buy at rough country or another company. What material(s) are typically used in a body lift is it an acrylic or a rubber material? How big is the diameter of a body lift so i can do it in shop class. My teacher is picky when it comes to building something you have to have exact measurements to do it. I appreciate it, I have looked in the tech section but with no luck.

Phantom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I would utilize shop class to build some ex arms rather than a 100$ plastic spacer kit...

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Agreed extended arms will be easier all around. Took 12 hours to get my body lift on. And your b2 is older.

Any who I bought a 2 inch body lift. There is about an inch of bolt left over. You could probably make it work but id go atleast 1/2 inch longer. So say 7.5 to 8 inches. Get thicker washers.all of mine warped before I got them torqued down

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Also... you can buy the pucks for like 5$. Not sure if this is your school project or what. Also I didn't use the steering or shift extention. Several ppl have used the 3 inch on a b2 and only used the pucks nuts and bolts.

treel98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 for now
Transmission
Automatic
well the way it sort-of went down was i got to talking with my teacher i was originally going to do a chopper mini bike then i decided agenst that and i listed my other 3 ideas 1 rock sliders 2 a front bumper or 3 a body lift and he liked all 3 ideas and he gave me a book on acrylics to look at if i decided to do the lift so i think ill just stick with the bumper thanks for the advice

Decoy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
so i think ill just stick with the bumper
great idea. the bumper will make a great project! post pictures when you're done. :headbang:

Nathan123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 Litre
Transmission
Automatic
I really just want to tell you it's easier to buy a pa body lift and be done with it. The actual "lift" is just spacers that go between the frame and the body mount bushing. If you're set on making the spacers, cut lengths of 2 1/2" or 3" steel pipe to 1/2" shorter than whatever you want your lift to be. Then you can weld 1/4" plate steel to the top and bottom, drill a 9/16 hole in the center of the plate for a 1/2" bolt, at least a grade 5. It would be better to put a pipe with an inside diameter of 5/8"ish in the center of the big pipe, and weld the plate to both pieces of pipe, making it almost impossible to crush. You will without a doubt need a body mount bushing kit unless they've been replaced recently, and be prepared for a lot of work getting the old ones apart. I think most of the stock bolts are 3 or 3 1/2 long, so you're looking at 6-7" bolts for a 3" lift. You'll also have a steering extension to make. Unless you can get material for free, it really is gonna be easier and cheaper to buy the pa body lift, imho.

treel98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 for now
Transmission
Automatic
ok will do this is what i am thinking on the bumper i got plans from another member on here Broncopower33 and idk i like the idea i dont have a winch yet but it will be there in the future

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals