• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Instrument cluster swap?

Ken N.

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I want to change out my instrument cluster on 1987 Ranger. I want to use one from a 1990. I know my 87 has a IRV and the 90 does appear to have one . Does this make a difference, or are the gauges compatible. And does any of the sender need changed. I know Ford did a change but in what year. If I am correct there is a year that starts where I can not use for instrument panel. They are not compatible. Thanks for any help. Ken

Ken N.

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
nothing ventured nothing gained. I guess I will try to do the swap. Thanks for looking.

EricNobody

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
I'm honestly not sure, there's a few posts on it. I've got a 90 ranger cluster,you could have it if you pay postage, its a non tach unit.

There's a good write up on wiring changes, if you have a Chilton or Haynes, use the wiring diagrams to wire your harness correctly.

I'm not sure if the first Gen will accommodate the housing.

Sent from my RM-917_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I was just in the process of doing something similar...the gauge cluster from a 90 will probably fit in the space of an 88, but they are not an exact fit...the 88 dash fascia would have to be modified and I'm not sure if the screws would line up...the wiring is different but can be re pinned to work with the cluster...

In my case I decided to go with a 96 wiring and try to use the heater controls (no a/c) from the 88...wiper controls have to come from the 96...

I like the dash from the 88 with the exception of the side window defrost...which I might try to incorporate somehow...but maybe tackle that later...

Ken N.

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys, thanks for the response. Ericnobody I think I can figure out the wiring differences. Mark_88 trying to fabricate the differences is part of the fun of making my ranger, my ranger. I was just not sure if about the gauges taking the right volts. The instrument voltage regulator on my '87( I not sure I think the IVR drops the volts down to somewhere between4 and 6 volts) or was I have seen the lack of one on the newer instrument panels I just like the looks of the new instrument panels. Thanks again Ken

EricNobody

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Well you're welcome to the cluster if you want it, just pm me your postal code, and I'll get a shipping quote.

Sent from my RM-917_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Hey guys, thanks for the response. Ericnobody I think I can figure out the wiring differences. Mark_88 trying to fabricate the differences is part of the fun of making my ranger, my ranger. I was just not sure if about the gauges taking the right volts. The instrument voltage regulator on my '87( I not sure I think the IVR drops the volts down to somewhere between4 and 6 volts) or was I have seen the lack of one on the newer instrument panels I just like the looks of the new instrument panels. Thanks again Ken

That's true...I've been contemplating keeping the 88 dash and trying to work the 96 parts into it...surprisingly, it appears that the cluster will sit in my 88 cluster space nicely...but I haven't actually taken the 88 apart to line things up. I was going to go with a 92 dash but I just don't like the design...and it's too late to go back because they just hauled the 92 away minus the doors, bed, and a few other parts I may need.

I wasn't sure if you meant just the cluster or the whole dash...the whole dash will swap right in if you wanted to do that...and I'm not actually sure what the IVR does or whether you had one to begin with...or if I even know what IVR (something voltage regulator) stands for...lol

Guess I have some learning to do with that...and probably sooner than I'd want...have to swap things over before the real cold hits...anyway, hope it works out for you...keep us posted if you have time! :icon_thumby:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The 87 has a 9 ohm resistor wire that powers the fuel and temp gauges. The 91 did not have that, it had a 12V feed.

The fuel sender ohm range is different.

The plugs and pin positions are different, one plug will not even fit the newer cluster.

Additionally, I somewhat doubt that the gen2 cluster will actually fit the hole in the gen1 dash.

I am sure at some level it's possible, but it will be far from plug and play. This is one of those things, I am sure someone could do it without a dash and harness swap, but if you have to ask, you probably aren't that guy.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
The 87 has a 9 ohm resistor wire that powers the fuel and temp gauges. The 91 did not have that, it had a 12V feed.

The fuel sender ohm range is different.

The plugs and pin positions are different, one plug will not even fit the newer cluster.

Additionally, I somewhat doubt that the gen2 cluster will actually fit the hole in the gen1 dash.

I am sure at some level it's possible, but it will be far from plug and play. This is one of those things, I am sure someone could do it without a dash and harness swap, but if you have to ask, you probably aren't that guy.
It will fit...but the mount screws do not line up between 1st and 2nd gens...the openings in the cluster are are all about 15" wide but there are depth issues also to deal with...the 3rd gens are almost identical to 1st gens though...and the heater controls are almost exact between 1st and 3rd gens...but the 2nd gens are shorter...so no go there...

I've been scratching my head over this for a few days now and still haven't figured out what to do with mine exactly...but it will come to me when the time comes...necessity is the mother of inventions...not that I'm actually inventing anything...:icon_confused:

Ken N.

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the help. Maybe if I need to ask a lot of questions I'm not the guy to try it first. Thanks again.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals