• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

temperature sensor

86ranger4x4owner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
My temperature guage isent workingon my 1988 2.9l ranger the needle is all the way down where do i need to start?

Last edited:

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
sending unit? wiring?
take the wire and ground it- and it should max out the temp gauge. if it does- its your sending unit probably. or maybe it is working but your thermostat is stuck open and its just not warming up lol, could always put the sensor in a pan of almost boiling water and see what it does.

86ranger4x4owner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
sending unit? wiring?
take the wire and ground it- and it should max out the temp gauge. if it does- its your sending unit probably. or maybe it is working but your thermostat is stuck open and its just not warming up lol, could always put the sensor in a pan of almost boiling water and see what it does.
where is sending unit located?

86ranger4x4owner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
sending unit? wiring?
and your saying disconnect the wir going to the sending unit? and get a wire and ground it somewhere and the temp guage should go all the way up?

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Yes. That's what im saying. and yes the sensor is below the throttle body in the thermostat area, a single wire hooked to it. looks like

And i replied to the PM also.

I'll go check on the other question to make sure what lights up. But I know my check oil light doesn't come on unless it's low of oil.

edit: i checked. when i turn my key on, all that lights up is the check engine light and battery light. then when i crank it, all the lights go out. but like i said in the mPM i may not have the bulb in the brake light area.

Last edited:

86ranger4x4owner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
Yes. That's what im saying. and yes the sensor is below the throttle body in the thermostat area, a single wire hooked to it. looks like

And i replied to the PM also.

I'll go check on the other question to make sure what lights up. But I know my check oil light doesn't come on unless it's low of oil.

edit: i checked. when i turn my key on, all that lights up is the check engine light and battery light. then when i crank it, all the lights go out. but like i said in the mPM i may not have the bulb in the brake light area.
the coolant temperature sensor shouldnt be around that area should it?

86ranger4x4owner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
um idk about all that now... lol

86ranger4x4owner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
all i got is two sensor looking things in my thermostat housing one has two electrical wires with a plugin and th other goes to my aftermarket temp guage which wont work.Can someone show me a picture of the exact place of the stock temp sending unit on a 1988 2.9l

86ranger4x4owner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
i think i may have found the wire i found a little wire with a L shaped rubber boot on it and it is a little wire and i found it near the aftermarket temp sending unit

86ranger4x4owner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
Ok i found the right wire the guy that had the truck before me just threw out the sending unit and hooked the other guage up i got a wire and grounded it like you said and the temp guage went up so am just going to get a new sending unit.but what could be wrong with the aftermarket guage? the wire is not messed up its more like a cable and its in the spot where the stock temp guage thing is and it doesnt tell the temp?could it be the guage or the sending unit on it?

dave2575

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 88
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
"BIGGER HAMMER!"
The aftermarket gauge has a thick cable because it is actually a hose, kinda, it is filled with a fluid and if it is worn, pinched, or cut the gauge wont work. but like you said if it is not messed up then it must be the gauge . get the sending unit and hook up the stock unit for now, but I suggest getting a new aftermarket gauge when you can, they are way more accurate and reliable for sure.

86ranger4x4owner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
The aftermarket gauge has a thick cable because it is actually a hose, kinda, it is filled with a fluid and if it is worn, pinched, or cut the gauge wont work. but like you said if it is not messed up then it must be the gauge . get the sending unit and hook up the stock unit for now, but I suggest getting a new aftermarket gauge when you can, they are way more accurate and reliable for sure.
ok i got the stock sending unit and am going to hook it up for now am going take a good look at the wire if it is pinched can i just unpinch it and will it work?

dave2575

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 88
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
"BIGGER HAMMER!"
If it is pinched then you can try to straighten it, and then check that the cable is not cut open or crimped were it was pinched. If it is crimped or cut open then the gauge is no good, you can not replace the cable. Think of it as a garden hose under pressure, if the hose bursts open you get no pressure to the nozzle. If you have it out you can try putting the probe at the end of the cable in a pot and heat up some water to see if the needle moves. let us know what you find out and good luck.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals