• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Auto ecu for manual??

Nordren

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So i bought a wiring harness and ecu for my 4.0 ohv that i plan on swapping into my 87 5 speed 4x4 manual trans. i fear that the ecu is a auto but, im not sure as it is not in my possession yet. is it possible by changing wires/pings and still have all my stuff work? or do i have to change anything out?

Nordren

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If it is an ECU from an automatic then CEL(check engine light) will be on all the time because there is no "feedback" from transmission connections.
It is the software IN the ECU, not the wiring, that makes an ECU for an automatic or manual trans.

Not sure if ECU would go into "Closed loop" operation with CEL on for transmission issues.
Closed Loop is normal operation after engine is warmed up so best MPG and overall operation.
Open Loop is when engine is cold and ECU is running pre-set fuel/air mixtures, i.e. Choke Mode, O2 sensors are not used.

Open Loop after warm up is often called "Limp Mode" because if ECU can not go into Closed Loop or if sensor data or failure pulls ECU out of Closed Loop, Limp mode allows you to "limp" home or to a shop for repairs.

Last edited:

86 slo-vo

02/2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I ran an auto computer in my 4.0 for a little when I couldn't find the correct manual computer. Wasn't perfect but got me by for a while.

Nordren

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
you guys are awesome, you'll probably see threads about my truck for a bit. I'm a little inexperienced but i have my father helpin me out with this but hes an old timer with carbs and such an says he doesnt know much bout the eletronics of vehicles now a days. says it grew to fast for him to follow haha. thanks though guys!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
This is a good site to bookmark and read up on the change over from carb to fuel injection:
http://oldfuelinjection.com/?p=1

In the level of learning about fuel injection, I am referring to the same level as most know about carbs, which is just the basics, setting idle, setting choke, setting jets, how to set float bowl level, how accelerator pump works, ported and unported vacuum.

Fuel injection is actually easier to learn than carb setup since computer does all the calculations, and fuel injection is simply more reliable and saves you money on fuel.
So you are really just learning where the data comes from(sensors) so the computer can make the correct calculations.

With carbs YOU were the computer, you had to do all the calculations, whether on paper or by ear, lol, and they never stayed the same, endless "computer" adjustments were needed over the life of the engine.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals