• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Clutch master cylinder and line install?

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Tried to install my new clutch master cylinder and line tonight. Couldn't figure out the line routing from the master to the slave? My factory manual has a crappy drawing and that is all. Chilton's is just as bad. :tease: I haven't found a similiar setup in the junkyard to look at either.

This is a 91 clutch master, slave and M5R1 tranny that was swapped in for my dead a4ld. I have a Dorman part number QD type hose and it is pretty long and curves all over the place but is kinda like a larger 'U'. Does this go through the frame where the wire harness does and then up to the master cylinder? DOes it clip into the black plastic two clip piece on the firewall down low? Gettin late and cold out so will try again tomorrow night if it doesn't rain.

ANy pics would be helpful too.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
The line does NOT go through the frame.

It hangs down ouboard of the frame rail then goes over the
top of the frame rail.

It goes over the frame just behind the body seam between
the floor and firewall

Does this help?

AD

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Does this help?

AD
YES, thanks! Been a long work week and it just wasn't making any sense last night! :c-n: Don't know why that hose is so long....easily 3' or more if ya straightened it out and measured. Will try again tonight.

offroadranger

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Can someone explain the line/fitting for the slave cylinder for me PLEASE? I've looked in my haynes manual, and all over online and cant figure this out:

Doing a clutch job, pulled trans, and removed the hyd. line by pushing the retaining pin into the plastic piece toward the back of the trans. Now I cant figure out how to remove that bearing(throwout bearing?) thats on the trans shaft in front of the pin I pushed in....I think I need to remove that to replace it AND get that pin back out to re-install it....??? Also, is there an o-ring or something that goes on that line to seal it?

Any help would be great, I have had nothing but problems with these hydraulics.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
It really doesn't sound like you're describing an M5OD-R1 slave.

That just unbolts from the inside of the bellhousing. Real easy.

And the quick-connect releases by pushing the retaining collar toward the passenger side (in), not toward the back of the transmission. There is no release pin.

Did you buy an FM145? The answer is quite different. As in, take it back and get the right transmission.

offroadranger

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic

And the quick-connect releases by pushing the retaining collar toward the passenger side (in), not toward the back of the transmission. There is no release pin.

Did you buy an FM145? The answer is quite different. As in, take it back and get the right transmission.
it is for SURE an M50D-R1, that much I know 100%. Its a 99 ranger, 4cyl 5 speed.

I can see where the slave unbolts, its getting the bearing off the input shaft I'm having trouble with...the slave sits behind that bearing.....

ALSO I'm talking about the retaining pin for the clutch hydraulic line.....its a tiny little retaining pin, I used a nail to push it back towards the rear of the trans, in order to remove the line....now I need to get that slave cylinder off(by first removing the bearing, then unbolting) to access the pin I pushed through the back.

So my questions are: how to remove the bearing from the input shaft?....and did I do the right thing by pushing that pin through to remove the line? and is there some sort of o ring or other seal thats supposed to go on that hyd line to seal it, or does it just sit inside the slave cylinder?

Make sense? Sorry I'm not real good on the terminology of the parts. Thank you for helping.......

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Are you trying to knock out the roll pin that holds the disconnect
into the slave cylinder?

If so WHY?

for the release bearing you simply need to SQUEEZE the plastic body
at the right points behind the bearing and it slides right off.

It took me probably 20times as long to type this sentance as it takes
to actually do it....

AD

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual

Sounds like he's describing an FM145. My M5R1 has a qd and works like MAKG explained.

offroadranger

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds like he's describing an FM145. My M5R1 has a qd and works like MAKG explained.
I dont know what a "qd" or a FM145 are....but I GAURANTEE this is a M50D-R1 transmission. I know that for a fact. maybe Im using the wrong terminology to describe the parts Im working with and thats confusing you? Would a picture help? I'd have to borrow a camera, but if you guys dont know quite what Im talking about I can snap a few??? Thanks for your help, really appreciated.

offroadranger

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
qd = quick disconnect?

this does not have a quick disconnect that I could find. I had to push out this little pin in order to remove my clutch line......maybe I did it wrong, but after staring at it for 20 minutes, thats the ONLY way I could see to get it off....this had to be done with the trans still in the truck, unbolted and slid back since the line was still hooked up.

cocoasranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Offroadranger,

Let me take a stab at explaining it to you. The tiny roll pin you removed from the plastic slave cylinder body does not need to come out. The plastic hydraulic line is disconnected from the slave from outside the bell housing before the trans is separated from the engine. You accomplish this by sliding the white plastic collar into the 7/8" diameter quick release fitting which sticks out of the bell housing about two inches below the bleeder valve. Just push the plastic collar in with the special tool or a thin screwdriver and then rotate and pull until the line and disconnect separate.

To remove the throwout bearing, unbolt the slave from the trans. Depress the bearing and you will see a large retaining clip right at the top of the tube. But if you bought the slave with bearing there is no need to remove it since they are installed as a unit. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
The line does NOT go through the frame.

It hangs down ouboard of the frame rail then goes over the
top of the frame rail.

It goes over the frame just behind the body seam between
the floor and firewall

Does this help?

AD
I just had to deal with this a couple weeks ago. It is a total f***in' PITA!!:annoyed:

I couldn't figure it out at all without having to look at my other truck to see how it was routed. There's like hardly barely even enough room to get it between the frame and the cab floor, too)

I can take a pic if you need it.

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
...Also, is there an o-ring or something that goes on that line to seal it.
There's a special o-ring in there...don't lose it.

QD= quick disconnect.

4x4Junkie, a pic would be great if it's not too much hassle.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15

Attachments

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thanks! Is that a bolt on nerfbar in the left side of pic?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals