• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rangers don't drive so well with 3 wheels.

Randy960

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well, I suppose if I had put it in 4wd it would have kept going, but that's not the point...

Here's the story, December 4th I got my truck inspected at a local Midas. They took longer than expected and forgot to call me when they were done, but other than that I was pleased. I haven't touched the truck since other than driving it, with the exception of checking fluids and adding air to one tire. Last night around 1am after picking up my girlfriend, i turned a corner, and my rear end crashed down, and I looked out my window just in time to see my left rear wheel roll by. I only had the stock jack with me, which is too tall to get under an axle resting on the drum, and too low to lift from any other point on the rear end. I ended up having to call my dad to bring me a jack so i could put my spare on before I froze to death. The bolt holes on my wheel are now oval shaped, and my studs are jammed with aluminum (made putting on the spare fun) and possibly damaged to the point that they need to be replaced.

I went to that midas today (in a blizzard) to find that they were closed. I called them, hoping to leave a message, but they don't have an answering machine, so I called the corporate office and left a surprisingly-calm message.

I figure the mechanic must have hand tightened the nuts and forgot to torque them. I understand mistakes happen, and while I'm very glad it didn't happen on the highway, I'm not as mad as I probably should be. If they replace my studs and wheel, i'll probably be happy.

4x4mike2004

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.squirill
Transmission
Automatic
I just had a similar experience. Took my truck to sears to get a new set of tires put on the week after thanksgiving. Been driving around normally since then even did a few long trips no problem. 3 days ago i noticed i was missing a lug nut on one of my front wheels. I checked it out and fortunately there was no damage to the stud, apperently the nut just fell off. On the side of caution i got out the lug wrench and checked all the lug nuts and there were too many loose ones for comfort. A couple on the wheel lissing a nut were really loose. They will be getting a call this week.

nate12346

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Wow im glad your ok!

I rarely to almost never take my truck to a shop, but when i had to get some repairs that i didnt have the tools for, I demanded to be in the shop watching what they were doing and having them explain what/why they were doing said work. lol they were pissed, but i made sure they did everything right.

RedRanger888

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Closest I've come to that was while getting a leak fixed. I always try to watch them too, just in case. All was well, until he went to put the wheel back on the Ranger, and one of the lugnuts had been knocked behind something. Instead of him looking for it, I watched him torque the others down, and pop the hubcap back on. I proceeded to go out and tell him that I'd driven in with all the lugnuts, and I'd really like to leave that way. He wasn't thrilled, but he found it and fixed it, and I didn't tell his boss, so a happy ending, I guess. I don't buy tires there anymore though. :thefinger:

OilPatch197

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/87
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
^^ My neighbor did that, wheel came off, except it was the front drivers side. He abandoned it and we drove by to check it out, interesting what happens to a front rotor, w/ about a 1/8th mile of "rotor skid marks". :icon_twisted:

BigJohn76

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
the same thing happened to me with my 64 dodge. i had just got it running good and new wheels and tires put on it and while driving around town i turned the corner and the wheel popped off. the lug nuts ground the steel around the holes and the wheel came off over the lug nuts. i was pissed.

ranger_mclaren

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995/02
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3/2.0
Transmission
Automatic
i took my 2wd truck to have the rear shocks replaced and i got the truck home and something told me to look underneith. when i looked the driver side still had the impact socket still sitting on the bolt and the bolt was about 4-5 treads from coming off, i tightened the bolt then drove back to the shop and handed the socket back to him and asked him did he forget something. he appologized and i said thats ok. people make mistakes i'm just glad it didn't fall off!

Randy960

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well, the manager was very nice and they're fixing everything for me.

superdave1984

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Moral of the story: Always do your own vehicle maintenance.

88ranger2.95sp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

alaskan155

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 2000
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
7.3l/4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
:agree: i even do my own work on my 06

therieldeal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
nice to see them man up on it at least.

i took a shop some wheels and tires and paid them for mounting and balancing. the tires were directional, they put three on one way and one on the other way. i had to argue with the guy to get them to flip and rebalance one of them...

stockfornow

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
now i know why they require us to do 4 torques at walmart. one with a torque stick and the other three with a torque wrench

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
Whenever I have a shop touch my wheels, i go home and check them with my lug wrench to make sure ; 1) they are tight enough, and 2) they aren't too tight. Once i got a flat and the guy at the tire shop put it on so damn tight with his impact I Broke 2 3/8 in. ratchets with a 6 ft cheater trying to get it off. Imagine being in the middle of nowhere trying to change a tire like that. I aired up the tire and drove to the shop, after he couldn't figure out how to get the 1/2 stripped lug nut off I took one of his sockets and a hammer and made it fit. Then when i showed him the ratchet he told me "you need something bigger than that" Boy was I pissed.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals