• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.0 liter block heater

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So I was under the truck lubing the tie rods and ball joint when I saw a male extension cord plug. never new the 3.0 liters had a block heater. anyway to know if it works other than plugging it in and seeing if it gets warm. I don't know much about these other than the ones on diesel engines. seems pretty handy when a few years ago we were having -30 wind chill on a weekly basis.

Last edited:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I ran one on my carbureted 2.3 for years and highly recommend them for a number of reasons,...the main one being that they cut down on the time the heat starts flowing though the heater and getting down the road.

On a carbureted engine they are critical to avoid no starts and I was able to completely do away with a choke and still managed to start first crank every time.

If yours doesn't work you can either consider replacing the OEM block heater in the location or use an inline block heater that fits into the lower rad hose. that's what I had and I still actually have the one I bought.

My Dodge has one too but I don't have a place to plug it in where I am parked now. So far the Dodge has been great starting in even the coldest weather...

91stranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Is there anyway to test these and make sure they are working properly or safe to use? the bottom side of my truck is pretty rusty and it looked ok and the wiring looked ok too but I don't want to plug it in and go to bed only to find some sort of issue with my truck in the morning. is there a fuse for this? I just don't know much about it and want to learn more about it.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
There is not much that can go wrong with them really. But you can buy a timer extension cord for them so they are only on for a short time. Like setting it to turn on at a certain time in the morning if you are on a regular schedule.

I would just plug it in and let it run for 30 minutes (in weather like we have now -1 or so) and see if it warms the vehicle up...you can tell right away if it is working because there will be heat coming out of the vents immediately as opposed to the usual five to ten minutes.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My Dodge has one too but I don't have a place to plug it in where I am parked now
Getcha a gas generator! :icon_idea:

Seriously though, try to find a GFI outlet and give it a try. They wear out more often than just going bad on their own. If you use it much I would get a GFI outlet for it to run off so if it does have a problem it trips right there and is done.

Last edited:

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Within a couple moments of plugging in, you should be able to hear it working - same water boiling against the heating element that an electric kettle makes.

More often they go bad by starting to leak versus stopping working - they aren't as secure as the frost plugs. The other issue is forgetting it plugged in and driving off; every winter someone does it and you see the extension cord trailing behind their vehicle.

For anything short of -20; having it on a timer is worth it to reduce your power bill. (If you are regularly working where it gets -40, you might want one on both banks of the engine).

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Getcha a gas generator! :icon_idea:
I've been considering this for a while now...might be affordable soon so instead I just updated my CAA membership in case the battery dies and I need a boost...need to price generators and converters...might do that tomorrow...they're having a big discount day tomorrow...:)

91stranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
tested it out this weekend, plugged it in for 2 hours and truck started very nicely, drove it down the road and it was getting toasty within 2 minutes instead of 10 minutes. Winter's aren't too cold here in Ohio these past 2 years but I will definitely use it with a timer if I do plan on using it. Like if I know they are calling for severe wind chill. I leave for work at 7:30 every morning so I am definitely on a schedule so a cheap $5 harbor freight timer would work perfectly. Glad to know it works. I never knew it had it until I was under there lubing the suspension.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
wrap the extension cord around your drivers side mirror :icon_confused:
an ounce of prevention....

91stranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
wrap the extension cord around your drivers side mirror :icon_confused:
an ounce of prevention....
or you could stick the cord in front of the tire so when you drive the cord "should" pull out.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals