• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

bad city mpg

hillbilly2354

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
so i bought my 88 ranger a little while ago and i noticed i get really bad gas milage mostly country (like 40 mph and stops every now and then) then i filled it up before i went on a mostly highway miles trip and it was getting 20 mpgs compared to about 12 city it is lifted only 2-3 inches the tires are the same diameter but a little wider than stocks tell me what you think is it normal or is something wrong if so how could i get better mpg in and around town

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
When was it last serviced? Tuneup, plugs and wires checked?

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
12 city isn't really that bad depending on how well the truck is taken care of. Mine gets around 13-14 in the city and can get lower if I get on the gas at all. Are you leaving the truck idle for a while? Does it still get close to 20mpg on the HIGHWAY? City milage is always gonna be worse than highway.

hillbilly2354

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
yea when i got it an old lady owned it before me so it was taken pretty good care of only 124000 miles but it got 19 highway and i did put new plugs in it and it ran better and started better but didnt put new wires in it should i ?

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
20 mpg highway and 12 mpg city. isnt that obvious? take your foot outta the floor. dont let her rev above 2250rpm and you'll pull 18mpg city.

if i drive like im 90, i get 20 mpg city, if i drive like the world, i get 15 city.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals