• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Radio turns off when wipers are on.

clflorida

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
1994 Ranger xlt.

Got a new Soundstream VR-930B 9.3inch touchscreen(yolo) radio. Took out the stock one and used the stock wiring adapters with ones I got from crutchfield. In other words, I didnt mess with the stock wiring.

When I turn on the windshield wipers, the radio shuts off. The old radio had no problems with this. Cause its a big radio, I figured with the headlights, radio, and wipers on the 20 year old truck cant handle the power. Im not good with electrical things.

clflorida

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Ok so when the headlights are off and the wipers are on, the radio still turns off.

drsvox

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
Does the radio come back on when the wipers are switched off?

I really don't think it's a power issue, and I don't think there are any issues with grounding...you're more likely to blow a fuse first. Seems to me something is causing your radio to protect, but I'm sure I could be wrong.

I might begin by checking to make sure the adapter is correct: that the pinouts from the head unit (user manual) match up with your Ranger's wiring. The '94 diagram is available from the tech library.

Also make sure your speakers are rated properly for the unit.

...just a couple thoughts.

clflorida

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
It does turn back on and will stay on until the wipers are activated again.

I did the match up like you said when I first installed. If I remember, the only one on the stock adapter that wasnt used was the illumination because another forum said that was only for the stock radio and it would blow/mess up my new one.

Im not very good with radios/electricity for some reason.

I have door speakers that are loud but idk what kind they are.

Here are my rear speakers...that are quiet...even though theyre new:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107DB571/Polk-Audio-db571.html

And here is the radio(head unit?): http://www.crutchfield.com/p_530VR930B/Soundstream-VR-930B.html

According to the links: the speakers power range are 6-60 watts RMS (180 watts peak power)

The radio has a built-in internal amp (14 watts RMS/52 watts peak x 4 channels)

Im sorry. Im just trying to compare numbers and maybe help you out.

Thanks for the help though.

drsvox

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry for the late reply...so maybe it is a power issue: with your alternator.

Your radio's preamp requires 2 watts...not sure if that tips the scale on what your alternator is supplying, but I would think a healthy alternator should be able to handle the load. For that reason, another option might be to have it tested to make sure the system is working properly. One way to tell if your alternator is misbehaving is if the headlights dim or brighten when accessories are turned on and off. Also, are there any other conditions that exist which also turn the radio off?

clflorida

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Dont worry about it man.

This multimeter says it works above 32F and right now its 26. So Ill go out there and check it as soon as I can.

As far as I know, only the wipers turn it off. The turn signal works fine.

clflorida

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Got the battery and alternator checked. Battery is bad...damn you walmart. So now Im waiting for a new battery.

clflorida

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Well ok then Oriellys. They said my battery is bad; walmart says its good.

Guy at walmart said everythings fine. He suggested the radio and stuff is too much for the sized battery in there and I take it to a radio shop to be sure. So well see what happens tomorrow.

Last edited:

clflorida

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
It was the fuses. Thanks for the help.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals