• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Sct tuner question

AJ2012

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3 liter
Transmission
Automatic
I'm looking at getting an sct tuner for the 5.0 explorer swap. I need to know what parameters it is able to adjust on the explorer computer.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Most parameters can be changed. Shift points for an auto trans, rev limiter, top speed governor, speedo adjustment to compensate for tire changes are the common ones that people adjust. To really give yourself freedom to make changes, you have to have the ProRacer software.

AJ2012

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3 liter
Transmission
Automatic
Most parameters can be changed. Shift points for an auto trans, rev limiter, top speed governor, speedo adjustment to compensate for tire changes are the common ones that people adjust. To really give yourself freedom to make changes, you have to have the ProRacer software.
How much and where do I get the pro racer software? I need to run a tune because I plan on running an E303 cam, and I will probably swap the heads and intake to trickflow, along with 24lb injectors and 255lph fuel pump in the next year. I just need a user adjustable tune so I can set the a/f and idle speed right with the cam in the truck, so it won't surge at idle and get hero ls mileage from running open loop at all times.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Most guys just buy the SCT handheld from a reputable tuner near their location, and have the tuner load custom tunes onto the handheld at the time of purchase. They should be able to get your fueling and timing in the ballpark just by hearing what mods you've made. This is usually about $400. If you'd rather do everything yourself, you'd still need the x-cal, and you'd need the software too. My memory is a bit fuzzy on the price, but I think it was around $700?

You can find an SCT licensed tuner near you by going to the SCT website and entering your zip.

Dweano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I also have a question regarding 5.0L swap and tuning. Can I just get the tuner and adjust some stuff myself...then get a tuner to right me a tune later...when funds allow? I won't have cats or EVAP so I wanna make sure I suffer no adverse effects and preferably no Check Engine Lights

AJ2012

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3 liter
Transmission
Automatic
Most guys just buy the SCT handheld from a reputable tuner near their location, and have the tuner load custom tunes onto the handheld at the time of purchase. They should be able to get your fueling and timing in the ballpark just by hearing what mods you've made. This is usually about $400. If you'd rather do everything yourself, you'd still need the x-cal, and you'd need the software too. My memory is a bit fuzzy on the price, but I think it was around $700?

You can find an SCT licensed tuner near you by going to the SCT website and entering your zip.
$700 plus the price of the programmer? The one I was looking at mounts on the windshield like the edge tuners. It's supposed to adjust spark timing, idle speed, a/f, transmission shift pressure/points, and tire size/gear ratios. And moniter everything on the pod. I just need to know if it can do all those things on the explorer PCM or not. It also is supposed to be able to regulate fuel pressure and calibrate for larger injectors.

AJ2012

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3 liter
Transmission
Automatic
I also have a question regarding 5.0L swap and tuning. Can I just get the tuner and adjust some stuff myself...then get a tuner to right me a tune later...when funds allow? I won't have cats or EVAP so I wanna make sure I suffer no adverse effects and preferably no Check Engine Lights
This is what I'm trying to find out, most people from what I see that run cams and delete the cats run this tuner.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
An xcal is usually $400 whether it has custom tunes, or is blank. Might as well get the custom tunes. Additional tunes after the fact usually cost $100-$200, so you'd actually save money in the long run by just getting a tuner with custom tunes from the beginning, instead of trying to do things yourself.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
$700 plus the price of the programmer? The one I was looking at mounts on the windshield like the edge tuners. It's supposed to adjust spark timing, idle speed, a/f, transmission shift pressure/points, and tire size/gear ratios. And moniter everything on the pod. I just need to know if it can do all those things on the explorer PCM or not. It also is supposed to be able to regulate fuel pressure and calibrate for larger injectors.
A quick google search shows the ProRacer software going for about $350. That plus the cost of a tuner would be $750-$950 depending on the model of SCT tuner you choose. That's assuming you have the desire and knowledge to write the tunes yourself.
It's cheaper and easier to just find a good local SCT dealer, buy just the Xcal X3, and have them load 1-3 custom tunes that take your mods into account. That would be about $400. Certain dealers will also offer additional tuning through email until your happy, but that varies depending on the guy.

Basically, the xcal is just a blank storage device like a jump drive. It needs tuning files loaded into it that are specific to your PCM code. Those tunes can and should be custom for your needs, so if you need to delete PATS, or clear a CEL, or add fuel and timing for boost, that can be written into the tune. Once the tunes have been written, then the xcal will allow certain adjustments by the user like raising the speed governor, or rev limiter, as long as the person that wrote the tunes left in that capability. There have to be tunes loaded onto the xcal to do any good. You can buy the software, a tuner, and write your own tunes if you want, or you can save some $, and have a pro tuner in your area write some tunes for you.

5literbeater

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
You can also get an SCT switch chip. It holds 4 tunes plus factory tune. Adjustable on the fly with the switch. Its cheaper than the hand held. And I agree just get a custom dyno tune. Most hand held come with free tunes for the stock motor but since you got bigger injectors and cam etc. You would need a custom tune. Just spend the little bit extra on a dyno tune and get the most out of your mods. Just remember the factory blocks aren't very strong so don't put too much power through them. I think under 500 is about the safe zone. I'm right there with just a cam and turbo. Might want to put a shift kit in at the same time as well if you're still running the 4r70w

5literbeater

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Also on any custom tune they can turn off any switches you want. Emissions, O2's, automatic switches, PATS, etc. Sometimes they can use those switches to run other accessories too. For example if you turned off your auto switches you could use those wires to run an electric fan that's thermostatically controlled through the ecm. Stuff like that. Custom tunes are superior over any other tune period. I think the only problem with the ProRacer kit is that you can only tune 1 ecm with it and I don't think you can touch as many parameters as a licensed SCT tuner can with their software. But don't quote me on that. Plus a dyno tune will get you're vehicle to run at its absolute most efficiency

Dweano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Geez this stuff is pricey

AJ2012

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3 liter
Transmission
Automatic
You can also get an SCT switch chip. It holds 4 tunes plus factory tune. Adjustable on the fly with the switch. Its cheaper than the hand held. And I agree just get a custom dyno tune. Most hand held come with free tunes for the stock motor but since you got bigger injectors and cam etc. You would need a custom tune. Just spend the little bit extra on a dyno tune and get the most out of your mods. Just remember the factory blocks aren't very strong so don't put too much power through them. I think under 500 is about the safe zone. I'm right there with just a cam and turbo. Might want to put a shift kit in at the same time as well if you're still running the 4r70w
I'm pretty experienced with tuning my own vehicles, I've tuned on obd1 5.0's religiously, and i have experience with the fast system. I also know the limitations of the Windsor blocks and aod transmission variations. If there was an easy way to do it while retaining abs and the factory gauge cluster I would just use a foxbody harness and computer

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals