• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5.0 to a 5.8, do it or not?

frogman

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I recently put the 5.0 in my 2000 4x4 ranger. It is fun and all, but I am looking for a bit more and I can use this engine in another project so I am not out much by pulling it right back out. But my question is, how hard of a swap will it be to put in a 5.8? I realize I will most likely need custom headers at this point as the stock explorer ones will be too limiting. My computer will have to be tuned, but that isn't a big deal either, I have a buddy that does that kind of thing. So what am I missing besides an AWD transfer case so I can put the power to the ground? :D (Doubt I will really run AWD, it would be pretty cool though!)

I am thinking a 351w with decent heads and cam, pry 36lb injectors, not sure on intake, tb, or maf. Most everything I have already is all for a 302 so those kind of things won't work. Is it going to be too tight? Will it run too hot? Is my fuel pump going to be able to keep up? I am in KS and only drive 10 miles a day. So gas milage doesn't mean much to me. I do love running all these ricers down though. :)

Any insight is much appreciated!! Thanks guys!
Clay

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
Depends. Technically it should drop it place of that 302 with no issue but depending how you mounted the 302 you could run into issues with brake booster and valve cover clearance. Hydroboost will solve that. The exhaust is another big issue. Some 302 swap stuff will work but is likely too small. If you are looking to make any power you will need custom headers. Aside from those issues the rest will work.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals