• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

302 swap into 05 ranger questions

BigggT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys i am currently building a 302 and i have a 05 ranger with a 3.0l manual RWD.I REALLY want to put my 302 in the truck but i heard the electronics are gonna be a pain. I was thinking would i be able to do the wiring from a 96-00 explorer into the truck and use the 302? I think that could work and tune the explorer ecu. obviously i would have to get all the explorer sensors and what not and play around with it a bit but i think i could make it work. My truck has the least options possible. No security and no power windows nothing.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There are quite a few things that make it tougher to swap. Only one that has done that late a swap would be Hooiser1104, check back for his build. Biggest problem he had was dealing with the digital speedometer and a couple of other small items. Lots of other things changed 2001 and newer.
Dave

BigggT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
That is a GREAT thread but still no write up! I have the winter to figure all this out. Sounds like finding the 96 explorer will be what i have to do. and my truck doesnt have cruise control so speedo problem solved? haha the only concern i would have is could i do a manual trans from a f150 or something or will i HAVE to do an auto trans?

Lil-Pony

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Take a Guess
Engine Size
2.8 soon to be 4bt
Transmission
Automatic
If you want a manual might as well get a 302 of 351 out of an f150 with the trans. It will be the same ampunt of work and the ecm is already programed for a manual. I think the year to look for is 92-96

Lil-Pony

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Take a Guess
Engine Size
2.8 soon to be 4bt
Transmission
Automatic
Well still have the mustang? If so get a shift boot from summit and a 14-18" shift rod and handle to match to taste?

BigggT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
no i dont still have the mustang, but i have a lot of mustang parts. would i be able to do a mustang swap into the truck?!?! like mustang ecu and harness?

Lil-Pony

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Take a Guess
Engine Size
2.8 soon to be 4bt
Transmission
Automatic
Anything is possible with enough effort. I believe so. Do you still have all the supporting accessories from the mustang?

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
The mustang electronics won't support the ranger's needed functions. Stick with the 99-01 explorer 5.0 as a donor, unless you plan to drop the tank and install an older pre 00 tank with return style fuel system. The easiest route would be to pull the entire vehicle harness including the dash harness out of the donor and swap it into yours (the dash comes out with only 7 bolts). The dash to engine bay harness is where everything changed. It may not sound like the easy way, but after doing several swaps including my sport Trac and an 01 ranger, I've got over 8 hours just soldering wires in each swap, would of taken me less than half of that to just swap the harness. Use the explorer FEAD as its a smaller package than the mustang. Explorer oil pan will be needed. Explorer motor mounts should work...

SVT

Lil-Pony

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Take a Guess
Engine Size
2.8 soon to be 4bt
Transmission
Automatic
Thats another route but i tend to work with what i have. Leaves money for other areas :) its doable both ways. Thought mustangs were return-less tho.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
The only 5.0 mustang that was returnless are the coyote mustangs (11+), but if your swapping that, you've got another can of worms...

SVT

Lil-Pony

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Take a Guess
Engine Size
2.8 soon to be 4bt
Transmission
Automatic
Haha nope$$$$$$
Setting up a return isnt that hard...
And a dash can always get custom gauges it also a play to so street legal is optional im guessing. Things become really simple in truth. Though as svt said alot of soldering will be needed no matter what

BigggT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
no i do not have the mustang accessories but i need it to still be OBDII anyway because of CT laws. so im going to have to do the 96-00 explo swap. I already have the block and im modding the engine, but will i need a specific intake because i currently have the 94-95 cobra intake right now. also would i use the ranger drive shaft or the explo one? and by swapping the dash harness will everything work like the speedo and radio and lights etc...

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
You will need the explorer timing cover, but you can use the cobra intake. The explorer uses the gt40 intake. Using the entire explorer harness, both the dash and underhood, will operate as normal, Speedo and all. Make sure you grab the G force transducer located on the driver side framerail under the seat area, as this is for speedometer operation. By swapping harnesses, you will gain power windows/locks, cruise, and any other option your donor has. You don't have to install the power windows & locks if you don't want them, but they are a nice luxury. When you remove the cps (cam position sensor) and cam syncronizer (replaces the dizzy), bring #1 TDC before you remove the syncronizer, pull the cps and take not which way the syncronizer is pointing, as this is crucial for proper timing. I recommend marking the syncro housing with a marker where it went. If you choose to purchase a new syncro, get the one from rock auto, its cheaper and comes with the installation tool. You also might want to get a tuner so you can pull in all the power and mpg available, as well as delete the auto tranny if you go with a manual...

SVT

BigggT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
that is good information! THANKS! but the reason i ask is because the 94-95 cobra intake has a built in elbow unlike the explorer gt40 intake. and i have just the block right now with some afr165 heads and cobra upper and lower and 24lb injectors with a calibrated maf. so i was going to take all the sensors and covers from whatever will work on the ranger. in this case im assuming the explorer. and when you are talking about the cps and synco of the donor explo i get right? because with the 5.0 block im building i dont have the distributor in it but i can make #1 TDC and im doing all my research as if its a new build and i had nothing.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals