• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

ignition mod. for 90'

ridgerunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
1990 F150 w/ 300 6 cyl. Has anyone come up with a better way to eliminate the way the ignition module on the distributor is set up, meaning the way the factory has it? It's basically a flat metal plate bolted to another flat metal plate with dielectric grease between them. A really BAD design! I've fixed or replaced mine many times and it's due again. When I bought the used truck yrs ago it would actually shut right off going down the hwy at speed, not fun when there's no power to the steering or brakes doing 60mph! Then after a few minutes it would start back up and run (sometimes). Took me a while to figure out what it was.

Last edited:

a31ford

Electronics GURU
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
First off.... dielectric grease is NOT what you use... "Thermal heat sink compound" is the correct stuff. Electronic stores ( radio shack for example) sell small tubes of it.

Second, TFI module DOES have a retrofit (Even though it's for the ranger based stuff) the mod is in the tech section, I'll post this, and then go get the link, and edit this for you.

EDIT... Here > http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/remote_tfi.shtml

And sorry, I'm NOT being an ass... it's just the way I talk... :)

Greg

Last edited:

ridgerunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
First off.... dielectric grease is NOT what you use... "Thermal heat sink compound" is the correct stuff. Electronic stores ( radio shack for example) sell small tubes of it.

Second, TFI module DOES have a retrofit (Even though it's for the ranger based stuff) the mod is in the tech section, I'll post this, and then go get the link, and edit this for you.

EDIT... Here > http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/remote_tfi.shtml

And sorry, I'm NOT being an ass... it's just the way I talk... :)

Greg
Dude U can call me the biggest ass in the world as long as I get constructive criticism! I will thank U none the less! Thanks man! After looking at what U sent me to...it not exactly what I was getting at. At the base/front of the distributor there is a module (or whatever) that bolts on with 2 bolts (I think with 5.5mm bolts). I'll get a pic soon...

here ya go

Last edited:

a31ford

Electronics GURU
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That is exactly what it is about (sorry) that is what is known as TFI (Thick Film Integrated) or "your spark control module"

The part with the 2-5.5mm bolts also has three wires that go into the distributor (as well as the connector on the right, in your photo)

The article, I sent you the link to, is about moving the TFI to a "remote" location and adding a heatsink to it, to replace the side of the hot distributor (which causes the TFI to fail)

go and re-read the link.

4th photo down, AND the last two photos in the link.

Greg

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
FWIW, if you haven't already resolved this issue....

I have a 1995 F-150 with the 300-6 and the TFI is mounted to the fender on the drivers side. Might be possible to scrounge parts out of a junkyard to help get yours moved to the fender in a heatsink.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals