• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Anybody using a Catch Can?

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Factory PCV sucks with the Whipple. The supercharger syphons oil into the intake, which is something I'd like to avoid.
I'm struggling to think of good mounting locations for a catch can since the drivers side of the firewall is pretty full (brake booster, steering shaft, clutch master cylinder, cab-to-engine harness bulkhead, etc). Anybody have ideas or pics of how they've done it?

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I used one for about two years. Still have it, but it's going to the dumpster as soon as I figure the rest out...

I put mine on the passenger side where the air box normally would sit on a FI setup as having a carb freed up that space.

Mine was home made and worked somewhat OK...it would have been better if I'd given it a breather at the top, but my truck was puffing smoke at the same time so that made using anything vented a bit tricky...

This, of course, was with the 88 cab so things were a bit different in later fuel injected models. Something I noticed with later models was some 2.3s had a valve cover vent that went into the air box bottom instead of back into the throttle body. This was a setup that I attempted to use just before the motor blew last July so I never really got a chance to test it out.

There is a special vent tube attachment that runs right over to the base of the filter air box on the passenger side which seemed to be an almost ideal setup...except for the oil dripping into the air box requiring regular cleaning...or a catch can just before the air is vented into the bottom of the air box...

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The one in my brother's JLT kit for his Mustang is pretty much just held up by the hoses.

His has the piston cooling jets which puts more vaporized oil into the air inside the crankcase. It doesn't get a long with his tuner, I forget if it makes it a tad too rich or lean. (his is an '11, midyear '12 they quit doing the jets so of course tuners are geared more aggressively for the 12.5-14/15? cars)

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The oil vapor comes from the oil on the cylinder walls and rings that is vaporized by Blow-by.
Increasing compression ratio, supercharger, increases heat and so increases vapor.

Use a good quality oil to reduce vapor, first.

What engine do you have?
Could you reverse valve covers and put PCV valve on the other side with catch can and longer vacuum hose and Vent hose?

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It's a 3.0. The whipple was designed for use with the stock PCV valve on the driver's side valve cover to route vapors back into the intake of the supercharger. Syphoning oil through the PCV is a common problem on supercharged Fords according to Whipple. Unfortunately, the valve covers cannot be switched.
I'm going to use a catch can. It's already on the way. I just need to determine a mounting location.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The one in my brother's JLT kit for his Mustang is pretty much just held up by the hoses.

His has the piston cooling jets which puts more vaporized oil into the air inside the crankcase. It doesn't get a long with his tuner, I forget if it makes it a tad too rich or lean. (his is an '11, midyear '12 they quit doing the jets so of course tuners are geared more aggressively for the 12.5-14/15? cars)
I've seen those. The one I've purchased is CNC'd aluminum, and I'd much rather mount it to something than have it swinging around unsecured. I'll probably be venting to atmosphere too, so it wouldn't be supported on both sides like your brother's.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've seen those. The one I've purchased is CNC'd aluminum, and I'd much rather mount it to something than have it swinging around unsecured. I'll probably be venting to atmosphere too, so it wouldn't be supported on both sides like your brother's.
His is aluminum too, good point on being vented instead of teed in though.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Also when running boost pressure the intake vacuum goes to 0 and then can go to +pressure, stock PCV valves can pass this pressure into the engine, this pushes the oil vapor out the Vent hose where it is sucked into intake/supercharger/inner cooler.

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
What do I know and I not really answering your question, but I have always used a slightly thicker oil in my blown engines. I went to 10W30 instead of 5W30 in my 4.0 SOHC. I think it helps reduce blow-by a little bit, is probably a good idea since boost puts more pressure on the rotating assembly bearing surfaces, and I figure the little bit of blow-by lubricates the top end of the cylinders. I do only run 6lbs, don't see blue smoke and pass emissions. I don't think it is a problem unless your getting a bunch of blow-by.

I thought of a catch can on and blown Windsor build but never did it. When I pulled the heads I did not see carbon build-up from burning a little blow-by oil, but I also use a good fuel system cleaner once in a while.

As anectdotal proof, there are upper cylinder Lubricants available on the market. Ya they go through the fuel system not the intake but here is a good explanation of their use: http://www.riverdavesplace.com/forums/content.php?429-Lucas-Upper-Cylinder-Lube-It-s-not-about-the-MPG

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've run a couple of blown Mustangs, first was a 4.6 and on tear down found a lot oil. Went to a full forged 4.6 and was told to be sure to use a 5W-50. Next was the new 5.0 and I did use the JLT separator and found 1/2 teaspoon of oil after 5000 miles. New 5.0 is sure to get one soon. The JLT just hangs on the hose but it is very stiff. Sure you'll find a good location for yours but worth it.
Dave

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What do I know and I not really answering your question, but I have always used a slightly thicker oil in my blown engines. I went to 10W30 instead of 5W30 in my 4.0 SOHC. I think it helps reduce blow-by a little bit, is probably a good idea since boost puts more pressure on the rotating assembly bearing surfaces, and I figure the little bit of blow-by lubricates the top end of the cylinders. I do only run 6lbs, don't see blue smoke and pass emissions. I don't think it is a problem unless your getting a bunch of blow-by.

I thought of a catch can on and blown Windsor build but never did it. When I pulled the heads I did not see carbon build-up from burning a little blow-by oil, but I also use a good fuel system cleaner once in a while.

As anectdotal proof, there are upper cylinder Lubricants available on the market. Ya they go through the fuel system not the intake but here is a good explanation of their use: http://www.riverdavesplace.com/forums/content.php?429-Lucas-Upper-Cylinder-Lube-It-s-not-about-the-MPG
10W-30 is only thicker than 5W-30 when the engine is cold... dunno how you roll but when I had a car with a blower (turbo Eclipse) I didn't get after it too hard until it was warmed up anyway. Even my NA stuff I have now I do the same... down to my lawn mower.

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
10W-30 is only thicker than 5W-30 when the engine is cold... dunno how you roll but when I had a car with a blower (turbo Eclipse) I didn't get after it too hard until it was warmed up anyway. Even my NA stuff I have now I do the same... down to my lawn mower.
Dang, your right, I probably ought to go with 10w40.:icon_thumby: I will also add that I think the manufacturers are going down to 5w to squease every bit of mileage out.

sorry for the hijack Mitch.:beer:

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
No worries Blown.

I got the catch can the other day and started looking for suitable locations to mount it. Thankfully, it's pretty compact at just 5 inches tall and 2.5 inches in diameter. Looks like I'll probably mount it on the passenger side just inboard of the HVAC plenum, and route the hose behind the engine.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I was running 20w50 in warm weather and 15w40 in cooler...although that was a diesel recommended oil and had a cleaning effect from what I read about it. With a block heater I wasn't too concerned about thicker oil, but I should have used a pan heater with it to make it a bit easier on the warm up.

I figured with all the blow-by my engine was capable of, it was doing a good job of warming up the oil during my 5 minute idle before taking off.

If you've got pics or can take any of this new catch can, it might be a nice article for the tech article section. The one I made became so messy and confused with hoses and separators that it was not much good...although there were many people reading it, I doubt anyone took a chance on using it as a guide...

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Sub'd

I will be looking into mounting some sort of catch can in the near future on the 4.0

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals