• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

87 BII 4X4 Speedometer Gear?

markinms

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L EFI
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Tire Size
31 X 10.5 X 15
My credo
Duty, Honor, Country
Does anyone know what color speedometer gear was used in an 87 BII 4X4 with the 5sp manual transmission? If not color, how about tooth count?

Thanks for any help!

Mark

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The answer you want cannot be calculated with the information you have given. In fact all of the information you have given is irrelevant to the answer you want.

We need to know the number of teeth on the drive gear in the trans (assume 7), your differential gearing, and your tire size.

From the crank damper to the gear nothing can be done to change which gear you need. From the gear to the ground anything that changes size or ratio will make a difference.

markinms

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L EFI
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Tire Size
31 X 10.5 X 15
My credo
Duty, Honor, Country
Thanks for the feedback. I "assumed" most if not all BII 4X4s with manual transmission used the same transmission, transfer case (electric or manual) and rear end (3.73 gears). Probably used the same size tires, but that is not a given. So I figured if someone with a BII 4X4, manual trans could let me know what speedo gear they had, it would help me out.

Here's my current situation:

Original (factory equipped) tire size: P205/75R/15 (27.1")

Current Tire Size: P235/70R/15 (28.0")

Rear end: 3.73

Around 20 yrs ago I changed the gear when I went to a larger tire. Can't find the original gear and misplaced the replacement gear during my engine swap. I'm currently using the gear that came with the donor car and it's way off.

Any help figuring this out is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Mark

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You can go here and plug in that info: http://www.tciauto.com/tc/speedometer-gear-calculator/

DRIVE gear is usually 7 tooth for Ranger/BII, but technically unknown at this time.
So 7 tooth Drive
with 3.73 ratio
And 28" tires
= 18.78 teeth on Driven gear so use 19 tooth, 19 tooth's popular color is tan/beige

The smaller the tires the more teeth on driven gear, because you travel less distance per RPM of the tire
The larger the tires the less teeth on driven gear, because you travel more distance per RPM of tire, i.e. 31" tire would use 17 tooth driven gear with your 3.73 ratio

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals