• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

84 bronco 2 4X4 problem

Mharvey91

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
This morning we woke up to a foot of snow south of Denver. I locked my hubs (turned them until they clicked) and tried to get on my way, I was soon stuck and while peeking out the window I realized my front tires weren't spinning at all while in 4h, I tried 4L and it was the same thing. Any ideas?

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
A hub didn't lock. That wheel isn't getting any power but makes for much less drag on the diff, so that shaft spins and the one engaged to the wheel isn't. Get her good and stuck so the rear wheels just spin, leave it running in gear in 4x4 and watch to see which axle is spinning, that's the hub that didn't lock.

turbo91xlt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year

Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
He said he turned the hubs till they clicked, idk on a d28 axle but on my d35 with oem warn manual hubs they only click into the unlock position.

BLOODBANE

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORDFORD
Engine Size
347, 4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
Did you move at all, or just throw it in 4x4 and get stuck. The hub has to turn (inside)for it to engage.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Did you move at all, or just throw it in 4x4 and get stuck. The hub has to turn (inside)for it to engage.
Bingo. If you are already stuck and lock in the hubs you'll still be stuck in 2WD. The little 4x4 Light on the dash means nothing except that the transfer case is engaged in a 4WD position.

With manual locking hubs, the front wheels need to make about 1 revolution sometimes for the hubs to actually engage...if its really cold it can take a little bit of moving before they engage.

Many people don't understand that locking the hubs in after you are stuck isn't going to help you at that point if you can't get any movement forward or reverse so the hubs will lock.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals