• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New to Bronco 2

Bronco2 Newb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985/1987
Make / Model
Bronco 2/Ranger
Engine Size
2.8/2.3
Transmission
Manual
Hello all,
I just purchased a Bronco II 1985 2.8 carbed 4x4. I just rebuilt the front end. Tie Rods, Upper/Lower ball joints, Bushings, and Steering Gear Box. (Fun times) And I am still experiencing some play in the column. I just had 4 tire alignment and I am still getting some sway. New KO2 BFG tires on it and I thought that would clear it up.

Also whenever I go into a turn I experience a lost of power and the vehicle almost dies. I have to pound the pedal to keep it going.
New Carb, rebuilt and adjusted. Duraspark 2 conversion, new cat and pipes.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Check your rag-joint, tho I'm sure you must have when removing the steering box. I'm not sure what a 4 wheel alignment will get you, a 2 wheel is good enough. There is no adjustment on the back axle. Do you have sway bars? There is a great tech section at the top of every page. Also make sure to check out the stickys at the beginning of each sub-forum. In particular there is a great write-up on the Ford TTB that might help your quest.
Welcome to TRS.

Richard

Bronco2 Newb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985/1987
Make / Model
Bronco 2/Ranger
Engine Size
2.8/2.3
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the heads up on the Rag Joint, I did not think of that. I am really new to this so I just bolt out and bolt in :) I will check that out after work.

No sway on the back, its Leafs. But Firestone had a special on alignments so I figured what the heck.

As for the engine stalling, I am not even sure where to begin :(

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
B-2's have a high COG = center of gravity. They are top heavy and can sway quite a bit. The factory tries to correct this with [anti] sway bars front and back. Some people remove them for off road. Do you have the front one still? You mention in another thread that you have a 4" lift, that's important info that you should have mentioned here. It changes how we would answer you. Did you put in a drop pitman arm when you did the lift?
Click on this>>> http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/announcement.php?f=47

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Carb; perhaps the float adjustment is off.

Bronco2 Newb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985/1987
Make / Model
Bronco 2/Ranger
Engine Size
2.8/2.3
Transmission
Manual
My apologies. I bought it with the 4in lift. (Guy used to take it four peaks here in AZ). I am going to investigate the link you gave (thank you). I will take a picture of the setup when the sun gets up so you can see it better. The pitman on the steering gear box looks like the standard unit. According to the pictures I have seen it does not have a drop at all. (Maybe thats the ticket?)

I just had the carb rebuilt and adjusted and the choke fixed. (It would stay open). Would that be the "Mixture Idle" screws?

Bronco2 Newb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985/1987
Make / Model
Bronco 2/Ranger
Engine Size
2.8/2.3
Transmission
Manual
Just saw that SkyJacker link and read it all. I think that is the problem going to save some cash and get that. As for the stalling do you know of any links I could read on not really finding anyone with that same issue :(

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Think you should start a new threat about the stall in the general section. It is a general question that would get more attention there.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Replacing my sway bar bushings (old and worn rubber with poly urethane) made a HUGE difference in the way it handles and rides. I have sway bars front and back.

As an example, there is country road that I enjoy driving and after replacing the sway bar bushings it handled better so that my cruise speed on that road increased by 10 mph.

I'd add the rear sway bar... With the 4' lift you probably need longer sway bar end links.

Leaf spring bushings may be shot and replacing those could help also.

A drop pitman arm should help too.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals