• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

wandering problem

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Let us know how it works out with the Pitman arm.

I looked things up and the first problem that I had was the drag link connection to the pitman arm. The drag link ball stud was going bad very similar to the ball stud I experience on the tie rod end in the more recent.

I had put new tires on and had mine aligned before the tie rod end failed. I had specifically said I had experienced some oddities and asked them to check things out. They came back saying all was fine. Evidently not. I was careful to put the new tie rod ends on in the same position and it drover well so didn't get it re-aligned. There is very slight drift to the right when I let go the wheel and in the time since the tires have worn a bit more on the inside than the outside but my other two BIIs did the same.

Does sound like something odd there. Maybe something got in the wheel temporary throwing off the balance? Hope it isn't a sign something is going.
When I had the alignment done they didn't find any problems other than the alignment and camber problem. It almost feels now like one tire wants to go one way and the other wants to go a different way. Most likely something in the tie rods, but it don't do it all the time, just certain roads...its very weird. Driving around town it don't do it at all. I mean the steering is a bit lose but nothing any different than it has been since I've had it. This B2 is nothing but a PITA all the way around anyhow. Going to just drive it till it falls apart then have the scrap yard come get whats left LOL. Its too far gone to pour money into trying to restore it since its way out of my level at the amount of income I have. Oh well, one of these days I'll find another one in better condition for a descent price.

Desertchild

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Out of curiosity, do you have any kind of lift, or oversized tires on it? It sounds like my steering. It was a combination of bad angles on the steering linkage (too severe from the pitman, I needed a drop pitman arm), and toe-in. Every time I hit a bump, or drove on an uneven road, it would wander VERY bad. Definitely something I would recommend looking in to. Good luck

Sorry, I hadn't seen the second page. Hopefully the pitman arm solves it!

Last edited:

Harley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford bronco 2
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5.5 in susp 2 in body
Tire Size
35 1250
pitman arm came in and i got a JY steering box with not too many miles on it...will let you know what i find

Harley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford bronco 2
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5.5 in susp 2 in body
Tire Size
35 1250
put the pitman arm on and it tightened the front end back up....looks like i ruined the other due to me not getting it tightened up enough....expensive lesson learned...

ab_slack

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
put the pitman arm on and it tightened the front end back up....looks like i ruined the other due to me not getting it tightened up enough....expensive lesson learned...
Great, glad you got it solved.

Bronco2 Newb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985/1987
Make / Model
Bronco 2/Ranger
Engine Size
2.8/2.3
Transmission
Manual
I have a similar issue with my 85 B2. I have a four in lift on the drop and replaced. Tie Rods, Bushings, Upper/Lower Ball joints and Steering Gear box, and it still has plays. When I crank the wheel left to right sometimes I hear a loud clunk. And when it drives I get a dangerous wander over 55mph. When I put on the pitman from the old gear box it didnt look bad. Think I may have to get a new one? Also I did not check the rag joint I will tomorrow.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals