• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

97 Expo to 97 Ranger 5.0 swap question

wr250rdr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys,

I have a line on a totaled 97 Expo with a well taken care of 5.0 in it for $400.

The truck is a 97 2wd 5speed.

I have a question and or a little clarity before I pull the trigger on picking it up.

I already have an M5OD-R2 to take care of the manual wants of this swap and an F150 flywheel and clutch kit.

Along with the standard mods and parts to pick up, headers, motor mounts, and a programer and tune.

With them both being OBD2, I should be able to completely swap the explorer engine harness and computer and they should integrate into the ranger body harness correct? Its my understanding that I will need to re-pin some of the connectors to merge the two harnesses but that it is do-able right?

Once the two are merged it should fire up like factory?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, 1997 model year didn't use the computer for anything but the engine systems for the most part.

Darn good and detailed read here for 1995 explorer to 1995-1997 Ranger: http://www.therangerstation.com/how-to/engines-fuel-systems/how-to-install-a-1996-explorer-5-0l-into-a-1995-1997-ranger/

Yes, explorer computer will need the automatic trans software deleted, but engine will start, run and drive with it still there, just CEL will be on all the time.

What year is the M5OD-R2?
Does it have the speedometer hook up, gear driven, on the tail shaft?
That can be an issue if it doesn't, but you can use a Dakota Digital speedometer interface with the Rear Axle ABS sensor to get the correct pulses for speedometer and computer, $90

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals