• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

is the transmission safety neutral safety switch necessary

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
is the fm 145 transmission safety neutral safety switch necessary to have, hooked up, as the wires on mine are broken off... does the fm 145 transmissions safety neutral safety switch, communicate with the computer and ignition module, so it will know when it's in neutral, for controlling and maintaing the engine's proper idle speed... if it's not hooked up, as said, will it affect the engines performance in any other way...

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
There is no neutral safety switch on any manual transmission.

Neutral SENSING switches on some EEC-IV vehicles are used to control idle and for fuel management optimizations.

Among other things, you may not be able to run some of the self tests (particularly the engine-running test) and your idle will "hunt."

It's a switch; it's very easy to test in the field with an ohmmeter. Get it from a junkyard.

cocoasranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Whatever you call it, my M5OD R-1 has a switch on the left side of the case that only completes the circuit in neutral. When I swapped the manual in place of my auto trans, I wired the switch to the correct wires of the five wire auto trans neutral safety switch so the truck only starts in neutral. I don,t have a clutch safety switch wired up.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
if a this Neural SENSING switch, as you called it, on my fm145 transmission, on my, EEC-IV, 87 ranger 4x4, model STX, 2.9 engine, and is used for, as you said, "to control idle and for fuel management optimizations."

and you said, "Among other things, you may not be able to run some of the self tests (particularly the engine-running test) and your idle will "hunt."

my switch is located on top of my fm145 transmission, just forward of my shifter... so, is that the location for my Neural SENSING switch, as you called it, instead of being just a safety neutral switch, as I thought it was, from what some other people had told me, it was...

is this Neural SENSING switch, as you called it, also, referred to as a vehicle speed sensor switch... anyway, whatever it's called, the wires going to it are broken off, too close to it's base, I think, to solder... so, if it controls the functions of my engine, as you mentioned, "to control idle and for fuel management optimizations."

it may be a good reason my ranger doesn't always run as good, as it should... sometimes, it runs fine, and other times it doesn't... now, that I know that this switch is more important, than I thought it was... I'm gonna try and get it replaced, if I'm not able to solder the wires on, where they're broken off... thanks for your advice...

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
hi

if a this Neural SENSING switch, as you called it, on my fm145 transmission, on my, EEC-IV, 87 ranger 4x4, model STX, 2.9 engine, and is used for, as you said, "to control idle and for fuel management optimizations."

and you said, "Among other things, you may not be able to run some of the self tests (particularly the engine-running test) and your idle will "hunt."

my switch is located on top of my fm145 transmission, just forward of my shifter... so, is that the location for my Neural SENSING switch, as you called it, instead of being just a safety neutral switch, as I thought it was, from what some other people had told me, it was...

is this Neural SENSING switch, as you called it, also, referred to as a vehicle speed sensor switch... anyway, whatever it's called, the wires going to it are broken off, too close to it's base, I think, to solder... so, if it controls the functions of my engine, as you mentioned, "to control idle and for fuel management optimizations."

it may be a good reason my ranger doesn't always run as good, as it should... sometimes, it runs fine, and other times it doesn't... now, that I know that this switch is more important, than I thought it was... I'm gonna try and get it replaced, if I'm not able to solder the wires on, where they're broken off... thanks for your advice...

if anyone has one of these, so called, fm145 transmission, Neural SENSING switch's, they want to get rid of, let me know...

There is no neutral safety switch on any manual transmission.

Neutral SENSING switches on some EEC-IV vehicles are used to control idle and for fuel management optimizations.

Among other things, you may not be able to run some of the self tests (particularly the engine-running test) and your idle will "hunt."

It's a switch; it's very easy to test in the field with an ohmmeter. Get it from a junkyard.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals