• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Mini Spool! your opinion

fx2prerunner

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94/97
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
so I'm getting ready to set up my rear axel, its a 8.8 from a 95 4x4 mazda with trac loc 3.73 gears which was fine for a 2.3l with 31" tires but not for a 5.0L with 33's so im rebuilding. I am going to truss the housing add a ford racing axel girdle and 4.56 gears, I want to use a spool but it seams my only option for 28 spline is a mini spool, I know its not as strong but will it work, or will it break? what is your opinion? what should I do? and yes I am looking for a 9" but having trouble locating one locally so the 8.8 is going in.

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I'd weld it before using a minispool as the carrier is the weak link in the 8.8", but even better then that I'd try and find a good deal on a locker. Any replacement carrier such as a detroit/truetrac etc would be great.

Fx4wannabe01

February 2010 OTOTM Winner
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
uh...not on a daily.

lunchbox locker before welding or spool imo.

dave@threat

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I would ditch the 8.8 all together and get a 9". The 8.8s are strong, but the C-clips dont like real abuse and the housings are weak. The axle tubes bend near the center section. Get a 9" then get a full spool. I recommend getting stronger axles as well. Back in the day I was stripping 31 spline monthly...

fx2prerunner

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94/97
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Dave I agree, I want a 9" but I cant find one locally (circle track guys got them all bought) and I cant afford to buy a new one so I was gonna put a little into the 8.8 until i can find a 9", change the ring and pinion, truss it, it has the factory trac lock but i would like to upgrade it to a spool, the truck is not and will not be a daily driver but it will see alot of on road time, it would only be a temporary fix til I can find a 9"

dave@threat

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Dave I agree, I want a 9" but I cant find one locally (circle track guys got them all bought) and I cant afford to buy a new one so I was gonna put a little into the 8.8 until i can find a 9", change the ring and pinion, truss it, it has the factory trac lock but i would like to upgrade it to a spool, the truck is not and will not be a daily driver but it will see alot of on road time, it would only be a temporary fix til I can find a 9"
Just gear it and call it done untill you get a 9". A spool with On road time will kill it faster then dirt time.

fx2prerunner

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94/97
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the advice Dave, I'm gonna truss the housing and put it under the truck, its about a year away from being drivable so if I dont have a 9" by then i'll put some gears in it and use it but hopefully i'll find a 9' by then or have the funds to buy a new one

dave@threat

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the advice Dave, I'm gonna truss the housing and put it under the truck, its about a year away from being drivable so if I dont have a 9" by then i'll put some gears in it and use it but hopefully i'll find a 9' by then or have the funds to buy a new one

If your ever down here in California a complete Ford 9" is $129.00 out the door at Pick-A-part or I could put together one of these in a full floater for you pretty damn cheap :D

fx2prerunner

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94/97
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
How Much? it needs to be setup for leaf springs

crawlin91

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
yeah how much? :drool:

dave@threat

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I think the last one I did was about $2,500.00. It had the new custom housing, custom 31 spline axles, Wilwood brakes, hubs, driveplates, complete new 3rd member, with a nodular case, full spool, billet pinion support, billet yoke, and a new ring and pinion.

Chris.S.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I wouldn't waste money on a spool, just weld it.

yodaman1151

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
if it were welded, you would just weld the carrier right?... dumb question i know. So you could take the carrier out and replace it with another one? i mean i know you wouldn't weld the ring and pinion but the spider gears is all you weld so they can't rotate right?

MikeInIdaho

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Some people just weld the spider and side gears to each other and leave the carrier alone so the gears can be removed (torched out) if desired.

There is another school of thought that feels welding the spider and side gears to each other as well as to the carrier results in a stronger unit that is less prone to failure. Some go so far as to wedge bolts, pieces of angle iron etc. in between the spider/side gears and carrier and melting the whole thing into a giant blob of melted metal.

The idea is to reinforce the unit with as many welds as possible without distorting and/or weakening the carrier with excessive heat.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals