• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

EXPLORER OVERHEAD CONSOLE WIRING INSTRUCTIONS (revised)

THE H.P FREAK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0L (245c.i)
Transmission
Automatic
HI!... Well this is some info that those with at least a 2006 to current RANGER will need to know if your going to try to install the Explorer overhead console in your truck. I found that most of the info in the following link that most use is not up to date for the newer trucks. I figured this out after about 8 hours of trying to do the wiring on my 2007 Ranger.

Here's the instruction link :

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/296394/4

The following are the changes I had to do to make mine work :

Referring to the link above, the GROUP 2A (console electronics power) wire. I tapped into the same radio plug harness, but my colour coded wires were totally different. The GROUP 2A wire I tapped, to the SMALL gauge white/lite blue wire.

Referring to the link above, the GROUP 2B (console display dimmer input) wire. I tapped into the same radio plug harness, but my colour coded wires were totally different. The GROUP 2B wire, I tapped to the small gauge light blue/white wire.

Referring to the link above the GROUP 5 (SPEED SENSOR) single GREY/BLACK wire cannot be hooked to the GEM MODULE due to the 2006 to current Rangers DO NOT have a GEM module. They have a Smart Junction Box (brown connector) .

Here's a few pics :

Instead I had to run the wire down the P/S "A" pillar, down behind the kick panel and through a rectangular rubber grommet out into the engine compartment. Then I tapped into the PURPLE/ORANGE wire on the CRUISE CONTROL MODULE . It is the 2ND wire from the bottom when the plug connector is plugged into the module.

It's the 2ND one on the left (slightly kinked) in the pic :

If I am incorrect on the years this is good for please correct me. I was going on "WORD OF MOUTH".

Last edited:

BCWW

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 liter
Transmission
Manual
This may be a dumb question but what if you dont have cruise control? What wire do you connect to then?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals