• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9l to 4.0 swap questions

zlex

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I am going to be swapping out the 2.9 for a 4.0 from a 95 explorer. I was going to replace the clutch while I had it apart and was wondering if i could get a bigger clutch plate or if i have to use the size for the 2.9l since I'm keeping the same tranny. And i don't have the wire harness but I have the computer and was also wondering if i have to get a specific wire harness for the computer or if they all have the same plugs and connectors at the computer end and for the others. Any help would be appreciated.

chilsam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 branger
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
300 six
Transmission
Automatic
Yes on clutch

I am going to be swapping out the 2.9 for a 4.0 from a 95 explorer. I was going to replace the clutch while I had it apart and was wondering if i could get a bigger clutch plate or if i have to use the size for the 2.9l since I'm keeping the same tranny. And i don't have the wire harness but I have the computer and was also wondering if i have to get a specific wire harness for the computer or if they all have the same plugs and connectors at the computer end and for the others. Any help would be appreciated.
You will need the 4.0 flywheel and manual tranny starter.As for the wiring remember the 2.9 has a dist and the 4.0 does not I dont know if you could use the dist in the 4.0:dunno:.I grabbed the harness off the donor truck it was a auto and our truck was a manual just had to mod and splice the NSS and back up lites.We are using the auto comp from with no problems just can't do vice versa,You also have to mod the fuel lines and MAYBE repin a couple of cannon plugs,all the info you'll need is in this forum just search and ask be patient you may have to wait for answers but MOST of the people want to see your project succeed. :icon_welder:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Not only can you upgrade to a bigger clutch, you HAVE to. The 2.9 clutch won't handle the 4.0's power.

Given that the 2.9 and the 4.0 share a bell pattern the larger disc fits just fine. You might want to be worried about what the 4.0 will do to your weak little FM146 transmission.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals