• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.2L Mazda/Perkins diesel

Art Lavoie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.2L Diesel
Transmission
Manual
I recently found a 1983 Ford Ranger diesel and it has a four speed transmission which limits highway driving to 50-55 MPH (approximately). I was looking for a 5 speed transmission. They must be rare as I have not found one. I was wondering if they even made 5 speeds for the 2.2L or just the 2.3L Mitsubishi. I would like to find one that I don't have to use a universal fit plate to install. any help would be appreciated.
My truck has 140 000 km on it, so I was also thinking I might put a turbo on if posssible. Would that hurt the engine?

zukirider21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hey im not sure about the tranny issue, but for the turbo, without a doubt that ol 2.2 would handle it no problem.

i wouldnt go overkill, but an appropriate sized turbo should yield nice results. also see if you can crank up the injector pump or maybe bigger injectors. just watch your EGT's.

your 2.2 is definatley stout enough for considerable mods, if you want to go that direction.

zukirider21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
and if you want better top end, why not just get higher rear end gears?

jdm_farmboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 v6
Transmission
Manual
Well I would assume because its acceleration would then be measured in days. If you swap to a 5 speed your top end is increased because of the higher gear ratio in 5th gear. If you change your rear end, acceleration and top speed are affected in every gear

TwoWhels

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
been looking into it...think you can put the rx-7 (early) 5 speed gears into your 4 speed case...i have an rx-7 4 speed and 5 speed extra
one day I'll find a 2.2

doodieroot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
5-spd

i was wondering if you found a tranny to fit? i'd like to do the same to mine.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals