• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.0 thoughts

Campbell5149

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ok so before I get the "thats stupid" or "youre an idiot its not meant for that" comments, dont waste your time.

So I'm well aware that the 3.0 is not meant to be a horsepower or torque motor, just milage, but i'm curious. I'm a powerstroke guy, and my 01 gets 22 to the gallon thanks to my tuning. So if my F350 can make that kind of horsepower and torque and still get good milage, I thought about my little 3.0. can a 3.0 handle a turbo? whats the compression ratio? can the rotating assembly handle boost? if only say 8-12psi. just enough to wake it up.....

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well to be fair with MPG and torque
Diesel fuel has 13% more energy per gallon than gasoline.
So at 22MPG with diesel it would compare to 19MPG with gas, 13% less

But that 13% is not all, gasoline engines also run at between 25%-30% efficiency, so out of that $4/gallon you just spend, $3 went to heat up the air around the vehicle, lol.
Well in fairness only $2.80, 5% is lost in friction and mechanical conversion.
Diesels are a little better they run about 40% between idle and 1,800rpm, turbo diesels can get up to 50% efficiency with computer controls.

Turbos are, IMO, good add-ons because they can be "off" for better MPG and then "on" for better power, unlike just going with larger displacement which is "on" all the time.
But powerwise there really is "no replacement for displacement", lol.
Issue with V6 or V8 is that the MPG is not that great to start with, I think 4cyl engines are better for turbos, and of course diesels since they have such poor throttle response normally aspirated

I would think you would have issues above 5 psi with stock parts, you would start to find the "weakest link".
But never done it so can't say.

Some good info here on the 3.0l: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/3_0performance.shtml
Compression is 9.4:1, which is why they can get "pingy" on regular gas if not on top shape.

Longer stroke gives more torque, I know duh, so stroking an engine can really help the torque numbers

Last edited:

stegomon

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987/1990
Make / Model
fords and only
Transmission
Manual
Super charger out there for a 3.0 ranger set up. Some screaming turbo taurus cars out there. So I think the 3.0 will handle a mild turbo build. Keeps the rpms down when u want goodish mpg. But if you need that extra eemmfff. Just mash the pedal

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Honestly, I think I would put my money and effort into a DOHC swap before I put it into boost.

Get an LS engine and make that girl scream. Ought to solve your misfire problem too.

Campbell5149

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
i'm not far from doing a 4BT swap if this misfire issue is not resolved. I just thought about it for the main reason of with a 3.27 gear, it really struggles to stay in OD with converter locked up climbing long grades. that little bit of boost would go a long way without compromising fuel mileage. wouldn't rule out a SHO swap either..... I'm not a fan of the 302 swap. defeats the point of a ranger. or LS for that matter. But it did almost end up with a 4.3 and 4l60e instead of the 3.0 when i bought it....

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
No, not a Chevy LS V8. Why in the world would someone defile a Ford by putting a Chevy engine in it, eww.

I meant the 3.0 DOHC that was in the Lincoln LS6. They are already RWD, so no head gasket swap needed.

445feranger

Reaction score
A V8 with modern technology can easily break 25 MPG. Some good heads, MAF injection and a Quarter Horse will really get things rocking. With aluminum heads 10.5:1 is no problem, DD a nice aluminum Holley mustang intake and that will do it. CID wise I would go 351 stroked to 400, it costs no more for the kit and you get some cubes as a bonus.

Sent from my RM-927_nam_vzw_100 using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals