• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Addapting a 4R70W trans to a 2.3

Boosten Ya

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Has anyone ever done this swap with the addapter plate? If so what is needed to succesfully use this trans with the 2.3 lima motor? I'm planning on getting a 96-99 ranger and using a 98+ ecu (unless I get a 98+ truck of course)

Thank you for any and all input.

Last edited:

Boosten Ya

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
What about using a 5r55e with a 4r44e or 5r44e bell housing?

NEALD

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Have you been able to put the 4r70w on your 2.3 yet. I know this has been talked about a few times before but I don't think anyone has ever completed it. The major issue seems to be the 4r70 torque converter pilot is too large for the 2.3 pilot hole. And machining the 2.3 pilot large enough to accept the 4r70 t/c pilot would totally remove the 2.3 flexplate centering ring.

joemac

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
As for the 4r44/4r55 you need to get the 2.3 bellhousing. It also houses the pump so it's not as simple as bolting on a belhousing but is simple enough none the less. The 5r55e is said to be a direct swap with the 2.3 bellhousing as well but some guys have said the electronics don't work right although some say they work just like a 4 speed transmission. The extra speed is controlled electronically. I believe by overdriving 2nd gear. The 5r55e is a stronger unit.

The 4r70W I think would be a really nice tranny for this swap. One day I actually plan to do it myself for a 2.3t swap. So far I have found that there are 2.3-SBF adapters already on the market. But stated above and correctly the converter pilot poses a problem. I believe this could be solved simply by the correct depth trans and crank adapter. The crank adapter would use the 4r70w flywheel. 4r70w transmission with the SBF bellhousing can be found in late 90's Mustangs with the 3.8.

There have been others who have just had the crank machined on the 2.3 for the larger pilot. This has been the route to take in the past.

NEALD

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
If you just machine the crank for a larger pilot there is a great chance you will be having a balance issue because the flex plate centering hub will be machined away. I wonder if a jig could be made up to insert into the pilot hole to center the flex plate, and then remove after the flex plate is torqued into place. Would the flex plate move without that shoulder to keep it centered? I guess you could even reference the flex plate and the crank with 1/4" dowels like the ones used to locate the bell housing to the engine only smaller.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals