• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Woman ran a red and hit me

Dany77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
This really sucks... I'm finding out on Monday if it's a write off or not. What do you think? Expensive fix? The woman was going at least 60 km\h when she hit me. Good thing I saw her at the last second and was able to brake a bit. The hood is fine but it doesn't align properly anymore. I'm thinking the frame twisted a bit.

Last edited:

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thats not a write off, the frame doesnt look tweaked, but let them put it on a rack to be sure, sucks, looks like that was a nice lookin truck too

red93terror

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
7.3 turbo
Transmission
Manual
If it is, just let the insurance pay you, then buy it back for 500 bucks, Fix it and take the left over cash and buy a toy

88rangerboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
I'd cry if that happened to my truck, and mine's no where near as nice as yours. Hope it all works out.

GB4000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Dude I don't even know what to say. If it helps, you had one of my favorite trucks on here.

Slim

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 + 2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 and 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Forgive me for playing Devil's Advocate here ..... one more reason to lift instead of lower. It would have been worse.

That being said, i'm very happy you are okay (?) and here to tell us about it. :icon_cheers:

RedComet6342

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
:shok: dude that sucks, hope your alright. that was a nice truck, you must have been mad, i know i would have if i had that much stuff invested in my truck and an idiot hit me just cause they ran a red.

Shoeboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chrysler
Engine Size
2.4L
Transmission
Manual
I don't know if its just me or not, but I think that frame is bent a little bit, look at the bracket right above the bump stop. you can see the black paint on the frame and a solid straight line where the rust starts, and the black paint continues on the bracket.

Also, doing a lot of alignments at work, there is going to be bent components. I've seen vehicles bend their bodies by hitting pot holes and make it impossible to line up, and I've seen people hit curbs and and cause thousands of dollars in suspension damage. I know that even a slight hit can cause major damage, and a hard hit it almost always a write off on something that old.

My guess is that because it is a 1995, insurance is going to total it out. Just by looking at body lines, and what is bent/broken, If they total it out, don't be suprised, if they decide to fix it, be thankful. If they do, I would also suggest buying it back, and making a day at pick'n'pull for everything on the front end suspension, and maybe the fender, bumper, ect if you're lucky, and maybe even a frame rail or the entire frame, as much as that would suck. Sometimes with minor tweaks you can use the "swing press" (hammer) and bent them back to an acceptable point.

Dany77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Well for the most part I'm ok. My lower back was tweeked a bit because she spun me around 90 degrees after hitting me. Getting xrays tomorrow just to be safe (and to make a claim). Was a pretty good crash. Her car actually caught fire after she hit me. Luckily an ambulance was there within a minute to put it out with a fire extinguisher.
Yeah I really don't know what I'm going to do if they write it off. I originally only paid $4000 for the truck but I have over $6000 in recent receipts after that. It was pretty heartbreaking standing on the sidewalk after it all happened and seeing my truck in that condition. I had everything on that truck just the way I wanted, had just finished my 1-piece driveshaft swap and it was running like a million bucks :bawling:
I think if they write it off I'll take the money and hunt for a simular truck. I love the 95's. I've owned an 89' and a 92' over the years but the 95' has been my fav. but I'll have to see what's out there.

Thanks for all your input, guys. Really appreciated it. Respekt :icon_cheers:

Tony Raine

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i would seriously look into getting the frame pulled. it may help straighten out some other stuff. there is a lot of time and money in that truck, i think it would be better to try and keep it going.

find a ranger that's wrecked in the back, and put its front end parts on yours. scrap whatever is left, its a quick check.

not sure what your state title laws are, i know in arkansas i can get a salvaged title (insurance total rebuilt into a driver again).

Kyle M.

GOING FOR BROKE
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
That defenitly looks fixable....easily. If they total it, for sure buy it back and fix it. I bet if you peiced it togther yourself you would have less then 1K into fixing it, including paying labor at the frame shop(if it needs it) and paint on all new parts.

c_note

September 2009 OTOM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger/Explorer
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Manual
hopefully they write it off and then u can get a REAL FX4!

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry to see that. I always liked the look of your ranger.

Gonna rebuild it back to it's former glory?

And how did you like that BDS lift kit? I'm going to purchase a lift kit this winter for my truck and have been checking out various brands. I'll probably go for 4" suspension and then 2" of body.

dogboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
If I had to guess, I would say they will total it... I'm pretty sure that there is frame damage there. I bet the driver's side rail is either pushed up in teh front, or the whole rail is pushe back in relation to the passenger's side.

I just did a quick KBB value with a 5spd (I don't know if you have an auto), and it says 2700 in "good" condition. Obviously if your truck has more options, or an auto, the following numbers will be higher.
An insurance company will write it off once the repair costs reach i believe it is 70% of the cars value. 2700-30%= $1890. The rapiars could EASILY reach that amount on that truck.

First of all, these are just rough estimates on prices, so don't go attacking me over them
You will probably need a bumper (200), fender/ flare (150), grill piece (50), wheel (100), possibly a tire? (125), I-beam (200), radius arm mount (75) hub (100), Time at a frame shop (500+), then paint and paint time. I don't know how accurate those prices are, but they are more than wrecking yards around here charge, but I'm sure they are a lot less than Ford charges, which would make those prices even higher. Even with those prices, it comes out to 1500 BEFORE body work, so you can see how $1890 sounds like a lot, but when you actually price it out, is hardly enough at all. And mind you, a body shop is NOT going to a wrecking yard to find parts, so they are going to buy new and pay quite a bit.

but if you were to fix it yourself, you could probably do it for under $1000, like somebody already said, because you have the luxury of going to a wrecking yard, a body shop doesn't..

Last edited:

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
I was hit in the exact same spot on my 1989 B2. It did almost the exact same damage, minus the screwed up rim.

I replaced the driverside axle beam, all the front end components, ie: balljoints, tie rod ends, shocks.

Bought a new bumper and a used fender to match...

It is fine. I put 1K a month on it.

You may need a steering box though, it boogered mine up. I didn't realize it at first, but I ended up replacing it a few miles later.

If they total it, buy it back.

My frame WAS bent right in front of the stabilizer bar mount and I bent it back with a ram rod thingy and it's fine.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals